OBC new model vs. old model

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smueller99au

Hi all.
I have searched for a while looking for an answer to this but haven't yet found any. Sorry if it's a duplicate post from somewhere...

I have an old iMiev, 2011 build. It has the old charger, ZHTP1529R, the one with the little top hat filter on it.
2018-03-19_peugeot_ion_nichicon_charger_doboz-1024x714.jpg.webp

Can I replace that charger directly with the new model, ZHTP1690R, the one with the relatively smooth top?

Are there cabling/water cooling differences?

Cheers.
Stephen.

The old OBC my 2012 was replaced by the new style such as you show. This was done under warranty by the dealer service dept.

There may be a difference in the HV cable connector from/to the MCU. i think someone used a new OBC by using the HV harness from the old version.

ZHTP1546R انفيرت لسيارة ميتسوبيشي اي ميف كم سعرو

Mod. Edit: Google Translate of the above yields -

Inverter for Mitsubishi e-Miev, how much does it cost?

Maun, welcome to the forum. I took the liberty of translating your post. To answer your question -

In California, the dealer quote for a new OBC/dc-dc (don't know which part number) for a 2012 i-MiEV a couple of months ago was ~ USD$5200, including 9.125% sales tax but not including installation.

Hello all,

Long time I do not write and follow this fantastic forum but let me be here again today.

I am based in Italy and there is a Citroen C Zero of 2011 with its OCB faulty.
On its label is written: ZHTP1529R 2011.03.17 STD V110.
I know it is faulty because I have tried the OCB of another car and with it, the Czero can charge normally.

I have purchased a brand new OBC from USA that has the same connectors, same wirings, just top AC filter is missing.
On its label is written: ZHTP1581R 2012.04.26 NAS V100.
But unfortunately the USA OBC does not work on the C Zero of 2011.

Do any of you have experience if the USA OBCs for iMiev work on the European Citroen Czero / Peugeot iOn / European iMiev?
Is there anything that can I do? Please help me and thanks in advance!
Sandrosan

Sandrosan said:
On its label is written: ZHTP1581R 2012.04.26 NAS V100.
But unfortunately the USA OBC does not work on the C Zero of 2011.

Do any of you have experience if the USA OBCs for iMiev work on the European Citroen Czero / Peugeot iOn / European iMiev?
Is there anything that can I do? Please help me and thanks in advance!
Sandrosan
Did your 2011 CZero use an EVSE for charging, or did it just have an AC cable that plugged into the charge port?

What DTCs does the car throw when using the NAS OBC?

Maybe the "New" OBC is really a broken OBC that someone sold you? The date code indicates it is an Old unit from 2012 production; i would expect a "New" unit to have a later build date.

You could open the cover of the New OBC and inspect for damage, also see if the cover plate has scorch marks such as shown on page 1 of the OBC troubleshooting thread.

Hi Kiev,

The Czero uses normal EVSE 16A (actually 14A at 230V). I also have an adjustable type EVSE.

I have not check with Diagbox and ODB LX yet. I will try .

The USA OBC is 2012 but brand new, looks virgin. I guess it is an old stock.

Of course I am going to ask a replacement but I hope there is not a compatibility problem.

I wonder the suffix STD / NAS / ALL / GRB on the OBC labels mean?
STD Standard? NAS ? Nord America Standard? or??
ALL , well it should be clear
GBR ? Great Britain?

I hope there is not a compatibility problem.

My regards
Sandrosan

Hi Kiev and all others,

I have taken some photos of the OBCs see the links:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/hx0rgt4okhncnw4sd4k6c/3fd7cdd8-56f1-4773-9ece-f7231b237df7.jpg?rlkey=lvjd3uv5rirj2zi8xz9pjv927&dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/bmq8a9716e15t5vgapxtw/7f5e696f-ab43-48e6-9952-6fcc1a05dbe5.jpg?rlkey=cvzr9yd88xkhtphpie9jmrq52&dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/se4wu717e9qt7vfkjrols/54751163-f2f7-4731-880a-38e6e166f0ff.jpg?rlkey=yz0gvytw4bkaqj1h50rdjm8o0&dl=0

As you can see the OBC from USA looks so new.

I hope someone has experience to share regarding the USA / EU compability

THANKS to all can help me!
Sandrosan

Wow, serial # 2 of the new version. i had no idea that those were being made back in 2012.

The better photos would be with the covers open so we can see the interior circuits and look for any evidence of high temperature scorching, blown components, etc.

You could check the wiring of the E-03 connector into the OBC to the control board header and compare the pinout and wire color to the wiring diagram on page 1 of the OBC troubleshooting thread. Maybe they are not the same between your two OBCs. The earlier gen OBC did have some difference in the wiring.

There are 3 generations that i have seen; the gen 0 which uses several mini-waffle plates, the gen 1 which has one large waffle plate, and gen 2 which has no waffle plate. You can't tell by looking at the outside.

kiev said:
You could check the wiring of the E-03 connector into the OBC to the control board header and compare the pinout and wire color to the wiring diagram on page 1 of the OBC troubleshooting thread.
Yes! That seems likely. Pins 1 and 3 are blank in the 2012, but 2 and 4 are blank in the 2010 (and presumably 2011).

If this is the issue, then there isn't a trivially easy solution; you really need to move wires around in one of the sockets, Or wire up an adapter with plug and socket, but where would you get the plug and socket? One you could get from the old charrger, but the other one you'd need a connector from a wreckers or similar.

Hopefully, moving the pins around (I think I'd to the car end, since 2012+ charrgers would be far more common) won't be too hard. Jweler's screwdrivers and patience will be required.

kiev said:
Wow, serial # 2 of the new version. i had no idea that those were being made back in 2012.

The better photos would be with the covers open so we can see the interior circuits and look for any evidence of high temperature scorching, blown components, etc.

You could check the wiring of the E-03 connector into the OBC to the control board header and compare the pinout and wire color to the wiring diagram on page 1 of the OBC troubleshooting thread. Maybe they are not the same between your two OBCs. The earlier gen OBC did have some difference in the wiring.

There are 3 generations that i have seen; the gen 0 which uses several mini-waffle plates, the gen 1 which has one large waffle plate, and gen 2 which has no waffle plate. You can't tell by looking at the outside.

Hi Kiev,

Thanks for your comments, I hope inside this USA OBC of 2012 is the same of the C zero OBC of 2011. I just wait a bit for other tests before to open it otherwise I invalidate the warrantee. But from the ourside and visible connectors pins, wires color and positions they are all the same for both OBCs. About the suffix meaning, have you have any idea?

coulomb said:
kiev said:
You could check the wiring of the E-03 connector into the OBC to the control board header and compare the pinout and wire color to the wiring diagram on page 1 of the OBC troubleshooting thread.
Yes! That seems likely. Pins 1 and 3 are blank in the 2012, but 2 and 4 are blank in the 2010 (and presumably 2011).

If this is the issue, then there isn't a trivially easy solution; you really need to move wires around in one of the sockets, Or wire up an adapter with plug and socket, but where would you get the plug and socket? One you could get from the old charrger, but the other one you'd need a connector from a wreckers or similar.

Hopefully, moving the pins around (I think I'd to the car end, since 2012+ charrgers would be far more common) won't be too hard. Jweler's screwdrivers and patience will be required.

Thanks Coulomb! Yes I have plug and socket from an old charger, no problem for this. As I said to Kiev, let me wait a bit before invalidate the warrantee. I also can change the control board if they are the same inside incluind pins and wrirings. Let me give some days as I am going away for biz trip till 10th of Nov. <but surely I will post the outcome. Sandrosan

Some previous postings about swapping
https://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=45802#p45802

Inside views of the gen 2 OBC
https://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=39633#p39633

Hi Kiev and Coulomb,

I have decided to open the cover of the 2012 model (invaliding the warrantee... :( ). And I have discovered that:

The 2 OBCs, the USA model 2012 and the EU model 2011 in my hands have the same connectors, same pins, same pin positions, same wires colors, fortunately let me say.

Just the top / controlled board in the 2012 contains also the AC input filter and the fuse that are into the external AC input filter of the 2011 model. All other low voltage parts of that board are exactely the same.

In my opinion there are different firmware (USA model and EU model) in fact swopping the top / controller board the USA 2012 model works on our Czero of 2011. :D

But to comple the fixing, I am going to somehow fit the external AC filter on the cover of the 2012 USA model.

Back