Onboard Charger / DC-DC Interchangeability

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeS

Staff member
I unsuccessfully looked through our recent Onboard Charger (OBC) threads for a discussion of OBC evolution over the years, especially as it affects interchangeability. Does anyone know if the 2016 US i-MiEV OBC is directly interchangeable with a 2012 i-MiEV's OBC?

If I remember correctly from my extensive search for a replacement charger the 2016 OBC looks the same as the 2013. The connectors are different so I had to remove them from my 2012 OBC and rig them to my "new" 2013 charger. It's not pretty but it works.

one of the coolant connectors is in a different place as well so the coolant hose has to be extended.

1pk said:
If I remember correctly from my extensive search for a replacement charger the 2016 OBC looks the same as the 2013. The connectors are different so I had to remove them from my 2012 OBC and rig them to my "new" 2013 charger. It's not pretty but it works.
One of the coolant connectors is in a different place as well so the coolant hose has to be extended.
1pk, if I understand you correctly, you had to scavenge the connectors off the 2012 OBC and install them into the 2013 unit? I was wondering if you could elaborate a bit more? Thank you.

1pk said:
I've have some videos that describe the swap. I will upload. Just have to find them first :oops:
Thanks for that, and look forward to seeing them if you find them. :) BTW, I had previously sent you a PM which I see you you still haven't picked up - simply drawing attention to this thread in case you don't access this forum often.

The 2012 Japanese OBC has a different part number then US Version, but appears to be nearly identical inside.
1cjqhQ8.jpg

The main difference is the AC input EMI filter is inside versus the extra filter top box that we have on the top cover. The extra fuse is the same as found in the US top box.
ejUWRY4.jpg

This unit doesn't appear to have suffered from high internal temperatures as the clear tubing on the wires is still visible and no scorching on the inside cover. The AC input filter safety capacitor has leaked its guts, but still measured as a capacitor, so it was probably still working.
nIBaAqi.jpg

The bottom boards are identical. The snubber caps and waffle plate measured good.
D8u8Rh7.jpg

Back