Turnik79

Re: Troubleshooting and repair for On-board Charger (OBC), DC-DC Converter

Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:05 am

Replaced element C545. But I failed to defeat the error U111D :(

kiev

Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:37 am

Like Coulomb stated there is likely a much bigger issue. The capacitor was just a symptom of a failure, not the cause. The 5V power supply is suspect and many chips are powered by that buss. There is also a 16V supply and the 12V input voltage lines. There is a fuse on the board that hopefully blew to save the rest--it is shown on your picture at F701.

U111D On board chargger CAN time-out

The CAN buss communicates from the microcontroller to the EV-ECU. The EV-ECU is not getting communication with the OBC and throwing this code.

The simplest solution would be to replace that little upper board completely--swap it out with another unit to see if that solves the DTC error.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

318iEV

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:44 am

Has anyone ever encountered the OKAYA LE105 capacitor in the potting goo on the top board of the OBC exploding as well as the caps on the bottom board when it fails? I’ve bought the new capacitors and will be hopefully fixing the OBC soon, I thought I’d mention this issue as I haven’t been able to find any other mentions of this specific cap failing.

New top board capacitor:
https://nz.rs-online.com/web/p/polyprop ... s/1896834/

Photo:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/18di4AGxAXnmVQfG7

kiev

Re: LE105 Capacitor on top board

Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:10 am

That LE105 capacitor on the upper board is in the mains AC input filter circuit.

The snubber capacitors on the bottom board are in the HV DC output section.

Usually it is one or the other that gets damaged, not sure if we have ever heard of both failing in the same OBC.

Does your car still run and drive without draining the 12V aux battery? If so then the 20A fuse in the MCU is intact and the DC/DC converter is able to chargge the aux. Usually when the snubber caps are cracked open then that fuse has blown too.

You may want to go ahead and replace those ZNR V20471U transient surge absorbers (black disc devices) while you are in there. Whatever over-voltage or surge took out that capacitor likely hit those also.

318iEV

Re: LE105 Capacitor on top board

Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:34 pm

No, sadly the 20A fuse in the MCU was blown as well.

we noticed the problem because in the morning the car had stopped charging, but had only gained about 50% charge.

Thanks for the advise on those surge absorbers. I wouldn't even have considered replacing them otherwise, and since their such a cheap component its definitely worth replacing just in case.

kiev

Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:11 pm

If the 20A fuse in the MCU has blown, then the snubber caps on the bottom board will be toast. Several folks have made the snubber replacement repair "from above" which is much easier than from below. Go back a few pages and view some of the repair photos. Be careful when bending the leads not to crack the epoxy coating where it blends to the lead.

It might be a good idea to check the diodes and semiconductors before going to the trouble--if the waffle plate is damaged then it can't be repaired.

Although most folks have been able to just replace the caps and fuse and get going again.

Where are you located? The US cars have an extended warranty to cover this OBC failure.

dutchlincoln

Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:42 pm

Hello,

I own a 2012 Peugeot Ion, and have the same issue: blown snubber caps. (thanks to this forum, i managed to detect what the fault could be).
At first, i couldnt believe that 2 of those tiny caps could be the problem, but yes; they were.

I needed to de-solder the big backplate, and couldnt really manage this with my little tin de-solder tool and my Weller iron, so i looked for someone with good experience in these kind of repairs.

I came in contact with P. Wilbrink from http://www.printplaatreparatie.nl , and discussed my problem. He was well willing to take a look at it, and we set a date for repair. In the meanwhile, i pointed him to this forum post, send him some of the schematics and findings of people here, and he ordered the parts.
Yesterday i put my electronics back into the car, and YES!! It worked again!

So, thanks to this forum and its members, i was able to repair (or better: have it repaired) my car.
I am very thankful to all of you.
I will try to share my part to this, and post some pictures of the electronics and the repair.
The backplate had some visuals of the components, so it might be helpfulin some way.

Thanks all!
And special thanks to Mr. Wilbrink!!

My regards,

Dutch.

kiev

Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:12 am

Howdy Dutch and thanks for sharing your repair experience. It's always good to hear a success story that helps keep these fun little cars running

Unfortunately i could not view the pictures as some security certificate had expired at the host site and the browser would not open them..?

coulomb

Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:16 am

Those images didn't display for me, due to what seems like a https problem (maybe expired certificate).

[ Edit: I see that once I forced the certificate on one, they all displayed. Or maybe it was because I viewed and saved them all; anyway, I hope it saves some readers a lot of trouble. ]

[ Edit 2: Oops! I only got every second one. Done now. ]

[ Edit 3: Sorted into date order. ]

I took the liberty of extracting them and posting them here via imgur.com .

20 Image

03 Image

22 Image

21 Image
Woe! That must have been a hell of a repair job.

13 Image

11 Image

04 Image

02 Image

06 Image

16 Image

17 Image

07 Image

18 Image

14 Image

24 Image

12 Image

25 Image

09 Image

10 Image

23 Image

19 Image

08 Image

01 Image

15 Image

05 Image

26 Image
Last edited by coulomb on Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:43 am, edited 8 times in total.

coulomb

Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:44 am

I added the odd numbered images in the above post, for those that might have missed my edit.

[ Edit: and re-ordered in order of date and time. ]

Do you know if Mr. Wilbrink had to replace the parts on the Waffle Plate™ that appear to be burned? Or did they just get really hot and yet survived?
[ Edit: I now see that the yellow sheen/muck must be from the capacitors as well. In later photos, we see it cleaned up nicely. ]

Any idea how he got the potting mix off the parts? Did it just chisel off? [ Edit: now I see it seems they didn't use quite enough potting mix to cover all the devices. ]

I'm quite surprised about the burned corner of the top PCB. It seems absolutely fine from above... or was that board replaced? Also, I can't see what would have gotten so hot that it burned the bottom of the board like that. Parts for centimetres about received a really bad dose of soot! I hope he managed to clean that off; it can cause weird problems if left on. Or maybe the board has really, really good conformal coating.

[ Edit: It's just occurred to me that the soot must have come from something below that board. Any idea what it was? Ah. The two small capacitors? ]

Anyway, congratulations on a miraculous repair! And well documented with photos!

Return to “Batteries and Battery Management”