Charging paused

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsantala

Does anyone else experience this "pause" while charging that I'm seeing with my C-Zero:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByvQr0xaz6XONWtndkdubGlQcGc/view

For no apparent reason the charging just pauses for around 20 minutes and then continues on it's own. I've seen this happen a couple of times now and I haven't seen in outside the warm garage I park and charge at work, but if it's temperature related it would be kind of strange for it to do it just once in the beginning and not again even after charging longer.

Yes, it's been discussed here many times. I think all versions of the car do this, presumably so some battery checks can be done during the pause

Don

Hmm, ok, hadn't come across it before here. Thanks anyway. Good to know that it's not something I should worry about.

Thanks for the links. Is there any experience on how often this happens or it if it has just been done in a recent charge what are the changes of it happening again? For example I'm going on a trip again tomorrow where I need to do slow charge and the thing just happened yesterday, so should it be cool tomorrow and not do it again? Or is it seemingly random?

The timeout "pause" in charging always happens at some point during charging, every time if you leave it plugged in long enough. Frustrating if you're on the road and waiting. The pause varies from six minutes to about 20 minutes, and the time varies from when you first plug the car in to the time it decides to pause. This explains why sometimes L2 "three bars per hour" doesn't quite come out right. I once saw it pause a second time during a long charging session.

Well i didn't know about this 'feature' either, but now i wonder if this is what is causing my Blink L2 to turn off or fail to charge the car during the scheduled late-night charging.

It's happened twice that i go out to the car to leave in the morning and find the car doesn't have enough in the 'tank' for the drive to work, etc...

KiEV, if your Blink unit uses current measurement, this could be why. I noticed that the i-MiEV will falsely trigger an Aerovironment's charging light to start flashing, indicating charge is near complete, when it pauses the charge.

The Clipper Creek update we got a while back shortened this pause from 10 minutes to 6 minutes, though sometimes it remains paused longer.

I think that the car usually makes this stops in charging in specific moments. When I begin to charge between 53% of SoC and 70% of SoC, the pause happens at 70 or 70,5% SOC (sometimes a little more). But if the charge begins at lower SoCs, this stop happens at 30% or 50% SoC. I never saw the pause occurring in other moments then near 30%, 50% or 70%. Sometimes, I stop with 29% of SoC and start charging, and it takes only 5 minutes to begin the pause. The car never does the pause when the charging begins at over then 73/74%.

Today, when charging at my mid-trip stop, I started charging at 27% and the charging kept going until 70% without pausing. That's when it happened. I noticed it because I was trying to hit 75% and was watching the charging process at the end. So it decided to pause right when I was there and waiting to go. However, I unplugged the J1772 connector for a few seconds, plugged back in and it started charging again right away. Didn't pause again. My patience lasted until 72% and I was able to get to the next QC with 9% remaining.

Back