Battery Warrantee extended to 10 years 100,000 miles

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveMiller

I recieved a letter from Mitsubishi today informing me that my 2012 Imiev's battery warrantee has been extended to 10 years 100,000 miles. Thank you Mitsubishi!

I feel my battery after two years is as good as new. Why would they do this?

Dave
2012 Black I-Miev
2012 Black Prius
Trek Electric bike
Gas Lawn mower
Gas Snow blower

Resale value, I think, which is plummeting for most if not all electric cars. And if the resale value is really bad, who dares to buy one new. At least if it has battery warranty, it should be worth something. That's probably the reason. Also they've probably noticed they hardly go bad, so why not give a guarantee which does't really cost them anything. Even more so if it only covers defect cells or the percentage of capacity left needs to be really low before replacement.

Phximiev said:
Cool, can you post the letter? Hopefully, we will all get one.

For the record, my daughter who also owns a 2012 I-Miev also recieved the same letter that I did Saturday. I did check "My Garage" in the Mitsubishi web site and it still indicates 8 years. I will save my letter. I can scan mine and post it somewhere in a few days if others don't get your letters.

Dave

Since I am not the Original owner, but did sign up for Mitsu site , would I assume to get a letter at some point ?

I got a recall notice this afternoon for our original car - Mitsu wants me to bring it in so they can change out the MCU - Motor Control Unit. Anyone else who has a car built between November 4, 2011 and May 8 2012 should be getting this same notice

Anyway, the info about the extended battery warranty is on the back of the recall notice "Mitsubishi is extending the warranty on the Main Drive Lithium-ion Battery to 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first." This is indeed good news for us, as we likely won't be anywhere near 100K at the end of 10 years. I think we're averaging 6 to 7K per year

Don

Just got my letters today, one for each i-MiEV.

Basically, it states that there is an 8-year / 100,000 mile warranty to cover the battery in the event it won't fully charge from a functional, compatible charger (EVSE, charging station). Mitsubishi is extending that warranty to 10 years / 100,000 miles.

I also received, on the same paper, a service campaign notice on Koorz (SC-15-002). I'll post a separate topic for this.

to extend the battery warranty on the battery to 10 years, 100,000 miles!!!!!

Yippee!

(i have a used 2012 i-Miev).

PemHgCQ.jpg

I received by letter on extending the battery waranty for 10 years. No mention of the MCU in my documentation.

Going to file with my iMiev paperwork in the event I ever sold the Miev. Nice for the new to know and have proof.

Seems pretty specific to me. Covers only problems with charging that is. Does not cover capacity loss. So whatever the vehicle thinks a full battery is, it should be able to charge to. Have they noticed a problem with the charger or something else related to charging?

I believe I will not receive the letter. My i-MiEV is from march 2011, so no problem with the MCU. But warranty, here in Portugal, was and still is 5 years or 100.000 km. Don't have any information that they will extend it. I would be very happy if they give me more 2 years, like they did in USA.

Does anyone have any idea as to why Mitsubishi has been kind enough to give us this warranty extension? I really appreciate this, especially as an early-adopter. Whereas Kia (and now, I believe, Nissan) are specific about the capacity loss guarantee (70%), Mitsubishi is still staying away from that. I personally don't care, as even a 50% range reduction will work for most of our driving, and I like to think that I will certainly get my money's-worth already, especially with the two used i-MiEVs. Based on my experience with Lithiums of various flavors, I can't help but think that gradual degradation will be followed by an individual cell failure which would make the pack unusable which...

I believe, based upon their announcements, that they re-cycyle the batteries into stored power sites. I can image that if one cell goes bad, they replace that cell and then use the entire pack in a storage solution. That would make economic sense if they can re-sell the packs also.

JoeS said:
Does anyone have any idea as to why Mitsubishi has been kind enough to give us this warranty extension?
They already had to do it for ten years in California, didn't they? Maybe they're just simplifying things by adopting a uniform national policy.

Doesn't really mean anything, if it's not coupled with a battery degradation percentage/figure. I have 2 years and 36,000mi and will not need the 10 years. I would rather have the deal, that Nissan offers for their batteries.

Back