imabubble

Battery only charging halfway

Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:08 pm

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, so nice to meet you all. This is also my first EV, and my first real problem....

I usually charge my 2012 MiEV at work at a normal outlet, and then when I get home through an extension chord. For the past few days, I've let it charge for enough time to charge it up most or all the way, but it's stopped at a little over halfway (indicator says 37 miles).

Just today, I noticed the car wasn't charging, even though the green "ready light" was on, so I unplugged and replugged it in. The orange "charging" light came on and I watched it to see what would happen, and sure enough a minute later, it turned off and the car stopped charging. The red "fault" light never showed up. I tried again, and the same sequence of events repeated.

I'm wondering, what should I try next? Could it be a problem with my plug, and so I should try charging at Level 2? Don't tell me the car battery has degraded to half its capacity after only three years. Has anyone else encountered this kind of problem?

PV1
Site Moderator

Re: Battery only charging halfway

Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:42 pm

Try driving it a few miles then plugging in again. See if it takes a charge. It's possible that the battery could have a failed cell, but if this is sudden, then most likely the on board charger failed.
:idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!:

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:10 pm

imabubble, sadly I believe you are experiencing the symptom of having lost one or more cells. Whereabouts are you located, as maybe a forum member closeby with CaniOn could help verify this? Suggest you get it to a dealer while you can still drive it there. The good news is that the battery is still covered by warranty.

Edit:

imabubble wrote:...Just today, I noticed the car wasn't charging, even though the green "ready light" was on, so I unplugged and replugged it in...
Perhaps a minor correction to what you wrote: in order for the "Ready" light to come on, the car must be "Started" using the "ignition key". The vehicle's interlocks will prevent that from happening if the J1772 connector is plugged in, even if it is no longer charging. Conversely, if the car is in "Ready" and you plug in the J1772 connector, it will immediately turn off the car.

I'm pretty sure you didn't intend to say that the "Ready" light was on, as the basic issue I believe you have is that the car stops charging (and now, doesn't even charge) despite the fuel gauge showing only a partially-charged battery.

Please do keep us apprised of your developments.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

imabubble

Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:26 am

JoeS wrote:Perhaps a minor correction to what you wrote: in order for the "Ready" light to come on, the car must be "Started" using the "ignition key"

The ready light I'm talking about is in on the charging pack, not in the car. It comes on when I plug the charger into an outlet - I always confirm that the green light is on before I plug the charging pack into my actual car. (I almost always only use Level 1 charging)

Thanks for your responses - I will try making it to the dealer in San Jose, CA this weekend (it's about 30 miles away, but I have a good AAA membership, so if I don't make it there, I can get towed the rest of the way) and I'll update this thread on what happens.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering how a battery loses a cell? Is there something I can do to prevent this in the future?

PV1
Site Moderator

Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:37 am

If the cell has a defect, there isn't much of anything you can do. To minimize risk of damaging the battery, the things to avoid are extreme battery temperatures (above 90 F and below 32 F), leaving the battery at a full charge for more than a day, and running the battery to turtle often. Also, keeping amperage low, especially when cold, will help too. Basically, easy on the accelerator :mrgreen: .
:idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!:

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:39 am

imabubble, sorry for my confusion. We normally refer to the unit that interfaces the wall to the car by its generic term - EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment), or "Charging Station". In this case, you are referring to the Mitsubishi-supplied unit that came with the car.

In which direction from the San Jose dealership are you located, as I'm up in Los Altos Hills and would be happy to bring my CaniOn over to you and check your battery?

Over the last couple of weeks my new used 2012 i-MiEV exhibited failure symptoms that evolved into symptoms identical to yours and it is presently in the San Jose dealership's shop. I took it there yesterday and I am awaiting their analysis. I have no idea how much care and feeding the battery experienced by the previous owner of my used i-MiEV (from the Bakersfield area).

My first i-MiEV is still going strong at over 36K miles, but I have babied that pack since its birth.

I'm in the process of preparing a separate post with CaniOn screenshots showing what happened inside the pack (love CaniOn!), but for completeness I would first like to have the feedback from the dealership.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)

Don
Site Moderator

Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:41 pm

*Usually* a bad cell will still allow the battery to charge to 3/4ths or 7/8ths full. Your symptom could also be caused (I think) by the delay timer function on the Remote Control. If you have played around at all with the remote just prior to the car exhibiting the current symptoms, that's something I would look into. The remote can cause some pretty unusual problems

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

JoeS
Site Moderator

Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:33 am

JoeS wrote:I'm in the process of preparing a separate post with CaniOn screenshots showing what happened inside the pack (love CaniOn!), but for completeness I would first like to have the feedback from the dealership.
The dealer confirmed that my pack had a bad cell and asked me to fill in some paperwork which they are submitting to Mitsu HQ.

sandange

Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:14 am

Sorry to hear of the battery failure.
Good news that they will fix things up.

A look at the CanIon read outs will be a super reference for others to evaluate their battery state.
Looking forward to seeing it.
Tesla Model 3 SR+, 2019
Previous EVs
Puey Bluey 2014 Miev
200,000 km , 124.000 miles.
Blackie - 2012 ES Miev 2 years - 67,000 km / (41,630 miles)
http://thecordstead.blogspot.ca/

Lithim

Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:23 pm

imabubble,

How many miles/km on your car at the inception of the charging problem?
Good luck with the battery situation. Symptoms sound similar to my sister-in-laws 2012 battery problem. (Her battery was replaced).

2012, silver ES with QC
16500+miles
2012, model ES
Silver with QC
Leased, now owned.

Return to “Batteries and Battery Management”