Finally killed my 12 volt battery

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PV1

Staff member
So, does anyone know how to clear that EV Warning light without going to the dealer?

We have Koorz at the RV Show on display, and have been leaving the marker lights on for show, and either plug it in or start it every couple of hours. Last night, the lights shut off after a short period of time. The car wouldn't start or charge. I jumped it with a battery charger this morning and got it to start, but now I have a persistent EV warning light. On top of that, probably ruined the 12 volt battery. LiFePO4 upgrade! :mrgreen:

PV1 said:
So, does anyone know how to clear that EV Warning light without going to the dealer? ... probably ruined the 12 volt battery. LiFePO4 upgrade! ...
Did you try disconnecting the 12V battery to clear the fault?
The MUT III should clear the fault.
Be careful choosing a LiFePO4 12V battery that doesn't overcharge. LiFePO4 batteries don't like 100% charge all the time.
Please share your results.

Against all odds I succeeded putting 10Ah lead-acid and 2.6Ah NiMH in parallel. Charging with the lad-acid charger no longer works but a 12V DC powersupply for CB-radio keeps them happy at a voltage of about 14.2 volts.

NiMH alone might do it. They like overcharging for "balancing" just as lead-acids do. But Lithium is a different story. A pack of 16850 might do because of 3.6 volts but 3.3 wont.

Cheers
Peter and Karin

I've been using one of the for over three months now:

http://www.ev-power.eu/LiFeYPO4-batteries-12V-1-1/Lithium-Battery-LiFePO4-12V-20Ah.html

No balancing, no protection, no nothing. I just have it in the trunk, because I put an ethanol heater in place of the original toxic battery.

So far everything is going very nicely. The battery is at 13.3 V after rest, which is a normal fully charged voltage. While driving the car charges the battery at 14.6 V most of the time, which is 3.65 V per cell, but it drops the current as much as possible while keeping that voltage, so it's hardly charging the battery, if at all. No deformation or anything. These 12 V packs come pretty much balanced out of the factory and since nothing can really ruin that balance, they just work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5kbj4sh26que1l4/2014-10-13%2014.21.43.jpg?dl=0

jsantala said:
I've been using one of the for over three months now:
I have used 12V lithium batteries from Smart Battery for small off grid solar projects. The batteries have built in charging and protection circuits. These 12V batteries range in size from 7Ah to 300Ah. They are expensive, but have worked well and are economically justified for small off grid solar compared to the cost of connecting to the electric company and paying an electric bill.

The Smart Battery is a direct replacement for the standard 12V lead acid battery. Here is a video detailing their construction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421914688&x-yt-cl=84503534&v=MEe_F9jY-cM

Back