weird.battery charging ocurrence

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkarl89203

We just about Never charge to full because we rarely need to.....3 miles from work and all.
So....yesterday when we charged up to 'full.' We had a 75 rr and all our bars but it indicated it wasn't yet fully charged.
So this morning curiosity got the best of me and I plugged in again.
Somehow after an hour of L1 charging we Lost one bar and rr went to 74.....
weird.
any ideas on why this would happen? If anything one would expect it to stay at 75....right?....and isn't the charging unit supposed to shut off if fully charged?
A bit confused here.....help!

That is odd. I wonder if maybe the gauge isn't calibrated properly.

Do you have an Android phone or tablet? It may help if you have Canion so you can manually check cell voltages.

Ok....even weirder....its at 81rr....says still not totally charged.
Btw 81 is a new record for us....

WOW!

rkarl89203 said:
We just about Never charge to full...

...then never has done balancing.

The balance of the 88 cells is done only when fully charged, perhaps you have severe unbalanced cells and need hours to realize balance.

Just an idea...

It finally stopped charging.

81 miles rr......a new record for my favorite electric car!

Awesome!

It was totally lost with his SoC. It can happen when we don´t charge usually 100%. It thought that it had 100% SoC, but then find that there where more space to get more charge, and let you charge some more.

Since it finished charging, does it now have 16 bars? Maybe for the future, adapt the habit of running 2-4 days to run down at least 2 bars, then charge up to full. This should help bring your pack back into balance.

Ran it all day....then recharged. At 16 bars have 85 rr.....
amazing car....amazing regenerative braking.

rkarl- I don't see your location, but as we head into summer here in the Puget Sound region, my RR is still climbing. 70 degrees F plus a balancing charge makes for a very happy lithium battery.

I am in rockford Illinois.....not nearly as scenic as where you are.......
Yes I agree.....warmth seems to be a darn good thing...
Its weird...they told us our range would increase.....and they were right!

Back