"fuel" gauge slowly fills up

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danpatgal

I don't know if it means anything at all, but when I turned on the car the other day the fuel gauge slowly filled in, from 0 bars at first to 1, 2, 3 ... up to full, which it was. I was a little shocked initially because at first I saw 0 (which I knew was either wrong or I had a very bad malfunction, as it had just charged up fully) and never seen that slow gauge population display before.

Has anyone seen this before - does it mean anything at all? Is it some kind of self diagnosis? Or, just a result of my having actually discharged the car fully (turtled) and then fully charged it in that one session?

Dan

danpatgal said:
Has anyone seen this before - does it mean anything at all? Is it some kind of self diagnosis? Or, just a result of my having actually discharged the car fully (turtled) and then fully charged it in that one session?
I suspect that's what it was . . . . though I'm not going to try duplicating it just to confirm it :eek:

Don

I have never noticed that sort of test on the occasions that I've turtled my car, not even the time I saw the battery light of doom. I'll keep an eye out, though.

alohart said:
Did you disconnect the 12 v. battery, even briefly?
No, I didn't.

I guess it was the turtle and going to "---" miles remaining and then fully charging after that. I just thought others would have seen it too. I've realized that because I live on a slight hill, I get exhuberant about how far I can go on the way out and freaked out on the way back. It's only about 100-200ft higher than some places I go, but it makes a 10 mile trip use up 12 or 13 RR (or more if I need to defrost), if I make a wrong turn, or need to run a short little errand, all of the sudden I'm scraping the bottom with my turtle, despite my hypermiling. Not fun. I would have avoided this last turtle had there been a public level 2 in downtown York, PA (the nearest was the Mitsubishi dealership, somewhat off the beaten track, as most of them are). So I was relegated to bumming off a friend with super slow level 1 for a few hours. I really hope level 2 charging starts to take hold soon.

Back