bigpete

Mitsubishi/Citroen OBC trouble

Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:08 am

Hi. As many others here, my Zero (iMiev) stopped charging the other day. Used my diagnose tool and got a message: "Converter fault. Not characterised". So I unmounted the converter and opened it. Followed this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63ZWosSyq7Q

Now it is out of the car and I have tested all of the converters fuses, but they all seem ok. The only thing I can see is the two of the capacitors with a tiny crack. Can that be the cause? Does anyone know what the parts number and where I can order them?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LCusoFXtejBUAS53A

Can anyone see anything else abnormal, just by looking here?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/z8L62sfMRwLANZtB8

kiev

Re: Mitsubishi/Citroen OBC trouble

Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:57 am

Those are some great pictures, i was able to zoom in to inspect the usual culprits. All i could find was the 2 cracked snubber capacitors (little blue buttons). This is the common part to fail and can be repaired.

There are details from other folks that have done this in the troubleshooting thread, but it basically involves scraping out the black rubbery material from around those capacitors, then cutting them out above the board leaving as much of the lead wire sticking up as possible (crack the cover to reveal a bit more of the wire); then carefully bend the leads of the new caps without cracking the ceramic blend radius such that it can be soldered to the stub.

Take a look at the picture and discussion from Simon on page 45 and 44:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4079&start=440

He found a good source for these and provides a link to order them.

If you have a voltmeter with a diode check function, then you can remove the faston tabs and check for a short in the high power semiconductors underneath the board, there is a schematic for this on the same page link above.

Good Luck to you and stay safe.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

bigpete

Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:55 am

Thanks kiev for your quick reply and for taking your time to study my pictures. I will follow your advice about replacing the two capaitors and take a look at tread you are referring to :)

bigpete

Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:44 am

kiev wrote:Those are some great pictures, i was able to zoom in to inspect the usual culprits. All i could find was the 2 cracked snubber capacitors (little blue buttons). This is the common part to fail and can be repaired.

There are details from other folks that have done this in the troubleshooting thread, but it basically involves scraping out the black rubbery material from around those capacitors, then cutting them out above the board leaving as much of the lead wire sticking up as possible (crack the cover to reveal a bit more of the wire); then carefully bend the leads of the new caps without cracking the ceramic blend radius such that it can be soldered to the stub.

Take a look at the picture and discussion from Simon on page 45 and 44:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4079&start=440

He found a good source for these and provides a link to order them.

If you have a voltmeter with a diode check function, then you can remove the faston tabs and check for a short in the high power semiconductors underneath the board, there is a schematic for this on the same page link above.

Good Luck to you and stay safe.

Hi again, kiev. Just want you to know that I read the tread you referred to, so now I have ordered the capacitors that had a crack. I will remove the paste around the existing capacitors today so that everything is ready for replacing when i get the new ones from RS Components. Thanks again, you are most helpful.

bigpete

Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:34 pm

Hi again.

Now I opened the inverter. I used the multimeter to test the main fuse and got no contact between the poles. Is the fuse blown? Can this fuse cause the problem that the car won´t charge?

Does anyone know where to buy it and which partnumber it is?

Here is the pictures of the opened inverter and fuse https://photos.app.goo.gl/Unc5zkoPGeiUaPpa8

kiev

Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:04 pm

Yes that is the MCU fuse that is blown when the blue snubber caps are found cracked or exploded. It should read a direct short when measuring across a good fuse, and it will be infinite resistance when blown. They can be purchased thru a dealer parts department, or an equivalent can be ordered from online electrical parts vendors such as Mouser, digikey, RS Electronics, etc.

Go take a look at the first 2 posts on page 1 of the Troubleshooting thread for links and details about the fuse and many other aspects of the OBC. Or do a search on this website for "MCU fuse" to find discusssion and details.

Where are you located?

bigpete

Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:00 pm

Thanks again, kiev. I am located in Norway. Many electric cars here due to the goverment´s green line and low taxes on electric cars.

bigpete

Mon May 11, 2020 7:36 am

kiev wrote:Yes that is the MCU fuse that is blown when the blue snubber caps are found cracked or exploded. It should read a direct short when measuring across a good fuse, and it will be infinite resistance when blown. They can be purchased thru a dealer parts department, or an equivalent can be ordered from online electrical parts vendors such as Mouser, digikey, RS Electronics, etc.

Go take a look at the first 2 posts on page 1 of the Troubleshooting thread for links and details about the fuse and many other aspects of the OBC. Or do a search on this website for "MCU fuse" to find discusssion and details.

Where are you located?

Hi again Kiev.
Now I have replaced the MCU Fuse and soldered on a replacement for the snubber cap that was cracked. Result: The yellow fault symbol in the dashboard is gone, but i still have a fault code 0006 on my diagnose tool and the charger does the same as before; when i put in the charger pistol into the car, the fan just goes on for two seconds and stop. No charging symbol in the dash either? Link to the movie before I knew the result. PS! The new orange capacitor/snubber cap is much bigger than the old blue one. Maybe its not the right type? Where do I go from here?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ftcmNLATBziVS9BD7

kiev

Mon May 11, 2020 8:18 am

i'm sorry if it wasn't clear, but both snubber capacitors should be changed, even if only one appears bad. They are a pair in parallel in the circuit, if one blew then the other is likely bad also (short circuit) even if it didn't crack. At the very least it should be measured and checked to verify it's good, but the risk is not worth the cost savings of only replacing one.

In addition, before doing the capacitor change it would be worthwhile to check all the diode drops of the semiconductors in the black "waffle plate" soldered under the board. If something is shorted in the plate, then it can't be repaired and no need to replace the snubbers.

bigpete

Mon May 11, 2020 12:04 pm

kiev wrote:i'm sorry if it wasn't clear, but both snubber capacitors should be changed, even if only one appears bad. They are a pair in parallel in the circuit, if one blew then the other is likely bad also (short circuit) even if it didn't crack. At the very least it should be measured and checked to verify it's good, but the risk is not worth the cost savings of only replacing one.

In addition, before doing the capacitor change it would be worthwhile to check all the diode drops of the semiconductors in the black "waffle plate" soldered under the board. If something is shorted in the plate, then it can't be repaired and no need to replace the snubbers.

Hi Kiev and thanks for your quick reply. Well, you did say I should replace them both, but since i just saw that one of them was cracked, i was lazy and just replaced that one. I think I can do the replacement while the OBC is in the car, so I will try that tomorrow. If it still does not work, can it be a relay, you think?

Return to “General Technical Discussions”