temp sensor and guess o meter

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomash85715

Hi: My 2012 with 25K miles on it got a new starting aux 12V battery last year and all seems well with charging the big battery and driving range. All accessories working great. Suddenly last week, the guess o meter countdown miles stopped indicating at the same time the outside temp sensor began just showing blank little bubbles. A and B trip plus main odometer are fine. My theory is it uses outside temp to refine guess o meter estimate. If temp sensor failed, would guess o meter not even try? Has anyone else had this happen and what was result? FWIW, I got it down to less than two bars and charged it using level two from there all the way up. Made no difference with this issue. Thank you.

Howdy Thomas,

That's an interesting issue that i've never heard before. i don't think we know exactly how the GOM estimates the RR, but it makes sense that external temperature could be a factor. A cold battery doesn't work as well as a warm one. Here is a link to info in the FSM about the range:
http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/i-miev/online/Service_Manual/2012/54/html/M254900120001900ENG.HTM

If your sensor failed (open or shorted), then the voltage reading would be off the scale for the expected temperature range. Your theory makes a lot of sense even if the FSM doesn't tell us. We know very little about what sort of data gets sent over the CAN buss.

Interesting. I had noticed that the C-Zero/Ion have both inside and outside air temperature sensors that can be read using Diagbox or HobDrive, however neither seemed to have a purpose, as the dashboard does not have any temperature readout (unlike the US version of the car apparently) nor does the interior temperature sensor affect the heating system. (The temperature knob regulates the heater matrix flow temperature not the cabin air temperature...)

However it looks like outside temperature may be applied as a minor correction factor for cold weather range on top of the drop in the figure you already get when you actually turn the heater on. Interesting!

Here is update: about ten miles into a full charge which came after a <2 bar fill-up both GOM and temp readout came back. Got down to <2 bars and filled up with my level 2 at home unit like always and lost GOM and temp readout. The fact they are both failing and returning and failing together I think is significant. Now I need to know where that sensor is so I can inspect it and remove it and test it and maybe replace it. Thank you.

Not sure where it is on this particular car, but a common location on many cars is inside one of the wing mirror assemblies so if no one has a definitive answer I would look in there.

Back