trouble charging 2012 miev with level 1 charger

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dylen77

i have recently got a 2012 miev

however i don't know why my level 1 charger won't work; it says ready, but when plugged in, it doesn't seem to react to the car

i can't tell what the issue is, i've followed everything in the manual by the book to no avail, is there any unwritten rule im missing, this is really frustrating first experience with an EV car

Where are you located--maybe someone is in your area to give a hand. Or a Nissan Leaf owner could try using their evse unit.

Have you tried a different wall outlet? If the outlet ground wire was not connected properly, or the outlet polarity was not correct, then the evse will not allow charging to occur.

If you could try another evse then it would help troubleshoot the issue.

Do you know if you have the stock Mitsubishi evse, or has it been modified.

The car must be off (take the key out to be sure) in order to charge.

kiev said:
Where are you located--maybe someone is in your area to give a hand. Or a Nissan Leaf owner could try using their evse unit.

Have you tried a different wall outlet? If the outlet ground wire was not connected properly, or the outlet polarity was not correct, then the evse will not allow charging to occur.

If you could try another evse then it would help troubleshoot the issue.

Do you know if you have the stock Mitsubishi evse, or has it been modified.

The car must be off (take the key out to be sure) in order to charge.

sadly, i don't have another EVSE to test with

i have literally went and did it as it said to, word for word, with ready light blinking on the brick

car has basically no modifications and less then 15K mileage, bare bones 2012 miev; and now its basically a lemon cause i can't charge it

I don't have an unmodified Mitsu EVSE, but I don't recall the green light blinking. It DOES b l i n k on my EVSEUpgrade.com EVSEs, the number of blinks indicating the current (amps) setting, default being 12A.

Could someone verify that the green light is supposed to blink?

dylen 77, you still didn't tell us whereabouts you are located, as perhaps one of our members could come and help. Have you tried charging at a public charging station? Presumably the car was at least partially charged when you got it, so the car's onboard charger should be ok. I don't recall ever hearing of either a stock or EVSEupgraded Mitsu EVSE going bad.

Check your 12V auxillary battery. Is it the original OEM, or what is the age of it? What is the voltage reading with everything off, and with the key turned to ON, and turned to start and car is READY. If the battery is old and weak then it may be worn out and can't function enough to allow charging the pack. All manner of weirdness happens with a weak auxillary battery. If you don't have a meter to read voltage, take the battery to an autoparts store that makes free battery checks. Rule it out as good or replace it.

When you pop open the charging lid and get out of the car, insert the level 1 handle into the port until the trigger snaps and locks into the socket. Tug on the handle and try to pull it out of the port (without pressing the trigger button) and it should not come out. The trigger has an internal switch on it and the evse unit can detect if it is not plugged in completely and will not allow charging. Then plug it into the wall outlet, it should start charging or indicate a fault.

A blinking Green light (lit then totally off) on the stock cord indicates bad ground. Try a different outlet preferably on a different circuit. If the light blinks on every outlet you try, then you might need to take apart the plug and make sure the ground wire is landed, clean, and tight. The green light on the EVSE should be solid.

An EVSEUpgraded unit will flash the green light, but only between bright and dim, not on and off.

Back