Incomplete Charging and Motor ! Light

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mievan

About a week ago I noticed my miev did not charged in full. It charged up to 80% before the level 1 charger will turn off on its own. At first I sort of ignore the problem, I thought it was time to replace the charger but, now, ii am starting to worry. It looks like the problem is more serious than just replacing the charger. Now, a week later, the battery is only charging up to 50% and Electric Motor Warning light is coming on now and then. Looking for help here before I start digging with no clue... Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bad news is that you have a cell going bad in the main battery. Good news is that Mitsubishi will give you a whole new battery under warranty.

Better get a dealer visit scheduled quick. By the time my appointment rolled around, it took two charging stops to get to the dealer. A replacement takes about a month.

I agree with PV1's assessment. Some may consider you very lucky to be a candidate for a brand new (latest generation?) battery pack. Please do stay in touch and let us know how your situation progresses.

In the interest of simply gathering background data, a few questions, if I may -

1. Whereabouts are you located? http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3196

2. What year is your car?

3. How many miles on the car?

4. Bought new or used and how long have you owned it?

5. What is your normal charging regimen?

6. What is your normal daily driving regimen? Typical mileage/year?

6. Ever go to turtle and how often do you go below two bars on the fuel gauge?

7. How often and for how long do you let the car sit fully fully charged? Has that ever happened in a high-temperature environment?

8. DCQC? How often?

9. Before this happened, what was your typical Range Remaining (RR) if you fully charged the car?

mievan, wish you all the best and please do let us know how your situation develops.

To answer JoeS questions:
1. Currently located in Puerto Rico.
2. Car is 2012.
3. The car currently have 31,795 mi.
4. Bought new (in Scilicon Valley, before coming to PR)
5. Used to charge it every night or every other night depending on use. Usually waited until battery was 10-20% to charge it in full.
6. Daily driving was 40 to 60 miles per day, 5 days a week.
6. "Tuttle'd it" five or six times since i have it.
7. Usually disconected it after was fully charged. About 12 hrs after conecting it.
Now charges at room temp environment in my garage (87F).
8. Never (If you mean quick charge).
9. Usual range was 85miles fully charged.

Thank all for your replies.

mievan, thank you for answering. Food for thought.

Puerto Rico, sizewise, looks like a great place to own an i-MiEV! PlugShare shows a bunch of charging stations and outlets all over the island.

I see that there are three Mitsubishi dealers there. Wish you all the best in tackling this as a warranty claim.

Do let us know how things progress, which I suspect will take a bit of time...

Back