MCU recall ?'s

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigger19687

So what happens if you DON'T do the recall for this ?

I have yet to do it and the reason is 2 fold. 1) it is far to go driving, 2) I wonder if they have done many (if any) up here.

I don't have any issues so far and I can not LEAVE the car at the dealer...Don't want some idiot say they have to drain battery and then recharge to do the work...

For those that HAD IT DONE, anything 'Better' then before?

Koorz was a bit quieter afterwards (original MCU had a lot of coil whine), but I haven't noticed any major differences.

The mechanic told me they would have to drain it down to turtle to do the recall swap, which doesn't seem to be necessary according to the FSM. So i haven't done it yet either. i don't have any loud coil whine noises and in the past month have now done 3 days of over 70 miles on a single charge.

i've always wondered what the recall was all about, and found this info online from UK and Australian sources:
*****OZ:
A further 37 i-MiEVs have been recalled over concerns the vehicle’s motor could lose power, which could also lead to not being able to start the car, or charge the battery.
According to the manufacturer, the resistance of the insulated base in the Motor Control Unit (MCU) may increase, resulting in an unstable circuit voltage.
This in turn can cause a loss of motor power, resulting in the vehicle not being able to be restarted and/or the battery unable to be charged.
Mitsubishi will replace the MCU to rectify the fault, which should take about 1.5 hours.

It would take longer than 1.5 hours just to drain the pack down to turtle, so i'm pretty sure that step is not part of the recall.

UK source:

Reference : R/2015/156
Manufacturer Ref : R3028610
Make: MITSUBISHI
Model : I-mIEV
Launch Date : 21/09/2015
Numbers Involved : 33
Build Start Date : 09/08/2011
Build End Date : 29/08/2011
Recall Details
Concern : VEHICLE MAY CUT OUT
Description : Due to none conformity during manufacture the resistance of the insulated base inside the motor control unit (MCU) which controls the electric motor, may decrease. As a result, the voltage in the circuit may become unstable causing the warning light to illuminate and the driving motor power to be restricted to the fail safe control. In the worst case scenario the vehicle may not be able to be restarted and the battery may not be able to be charged.
Remedial Action : Recall the vehicles that are likely to be affected and replace the engine MCU.
Vehicle Id : JMALDHA3WCU000220 to JMALDHA3WCU000259

If any of you guys that did the recall ever open the covers, take some pictures and we can compare to see if anything is different, for example, http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2844

i have a meter to measure insulation resistance and will do that if it becomes inoperable. If anything, my car has an insulation fault associated with the dcqc port which is why it trips the breaker at the local Eaton Chademo station. We can fix anything if we have a schematic, so i'm gonna keep riding this pony hard till the stirrups are draggin'

Back