iMiev Tour de Montreal (A loop around Montreal Island)

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonDakin

Well I guess I was inspired by Martin taking a long loop trip in his imiev every year. So I decided to to a loop around the island of Montreal.

Google maps told me it was about 125-130 km, it was difficult to modify the map to the roads I wanted to take to get an exact distance
but it was a good estimate. I wanted to drive by the river as much as I could.

I was pretty much driving in city conditions all the way so a lot of stop and go with many lights and stop signs but there were areas with almost no traffic also.

I started out with 98.5 % battery. I charged in the early morning fully but it seems it stopped at 98.5 % or perhaps it settled down to 98.5 after a few hours after charging fully.

Highlights: The total trip was 125.8 KM (78.125 Miles) I got home with 13.5% left and 6 km (3.75 miles) of Range remaining. Sunny day OAT 24 Deg C (75.2 Deg F) Theoretically I could have driven another 125.8*.135=16.9 KM (10.6 Miles) but after 4 and a half hours my butt told me that was enough.

This was done in a 2012 iMiev with about 25,000 KM (15,600 Miles) on it.

Here are some of the canion shots. I also used another tracking app to get a screen shot. It's kind of cool to see the trace on the map.

Martin if you are reading this it's interesting that the other tracking program ("my car tracks") had a slightly larger total distance. Not sure which is more accurate but the A/B trip meter was 124.96 KM Canion was 125.8 and "my car tracks" was 128.94 I guess my car tracks is a little long.

Don.......

http://imgur.com/a/D9nBi

DonDakin, congratulations on a successful springtime trip! Thanks for posting the data. See you got under the magic 100Wh/km (a nice simple target to see how efficiently one is driving any given trip). 97Wh/km = 6.4miles/KWh (battery-to-wheels, not to be confused with wall-to-wheels).

Don't understand why your initial fully-charged value had dropped to 98.5% nor why the difference between the GPS readings. About the latter, perhaps your CaniOn's Android GPS source dropped out briefly a few times?

DonDakin said:
Martin if you are reading this it's interesting that the other tracking program ("my car tracks") had a slightly larger total distance. Not sure which is more accurate but the A/B trip meter was 124.96 KM Canion was 125.8 and "my car tracks" was 128.94 I guess my car tracks is a little long.
Hello Don!

I'll be glad to see another round trip with caniOn screenshots - fine!

caniOn is using motor rpm with a factor to compute distance. Internally this value is available in meters, but caniOn shows this only in 100m steps (as A/B trip meter). The factor is recalculated every full km via odometer. So this distance should be more accurate as a GPS-tracker could do.

Do you have some bluetooth issues during this trip?

Martin :)

Hey Joe,

I dont know about the 98.5 % also. I did a timed over night charge full charge. In the morning i was in a hurry to start i just noticed it before leaving and took note of it.

Canion and the a/b odo were pretty close so i guess that validates canion distance measurements.

Below 100 wh/km is really nice to see, I love how effecient out little car is. I forgot to mention that i still have my minerva winter tires on also. I will run them all summer this year to save a bit of money on tire swaps and to balance the winter/summer tire wear a little more.

Martin,

Canion was solid on the trip. When i got home and started flipping screens it froze but just keeping it on the my trip screen during the trip it did a nice recording.

It would however be nice to be able to "pause" canion during a long trip for bathroom breaks, etc. i think someone else mentioned being able to continue a log file would come in handy. It would be easier on the driver thats for sure. I did feel like i was trapped in the car until i got back home (a little) because i wanted a full recording. Maybe something to think about for a next release down the road.

Btw i am running version 1.36 i believe.

Don.......

Back