Any tips on R&R the cabin air filter?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acensor

After 2.5 years figure it's time to change that filter. (Do note we put only about 5000 miles a year on our MiEV.)
Have the filter. Recall from my Toyota it's probably a quirky acess behind the glove box.
Any tips, directions, on remove and replace that filter?

Alex

Remove the glovebox then you can see the filter and it's slot to slide into the plenum. Easy to access and change.

The glovebox is held by tabs on each side--use your finger to press in one side tab at a time to release it, then let it fully open down and then you can pick it up off of the 'hinge' and out of your way. Reverse procedure to reassemble.

I just looked at mine the other day, open glove box, top inside is just push in one side and pop out that side, then do the other. DON"T DROP THE GLOVE BOX, the bottom just has 1/2 hooks so if you let it go it will fall on the floor ... yeah, ask how I know.

squeeze tabs on the air filter cover, pull out filter.
Mine is very clean for a 2012 and almost 12000 miles.

I only looked because I was just fooling around with the car putting in LED lights.

Pulled mine out once to check it and get rid of loose debris. I guess at 3 years and 30,000 miles, it's time to check it again. I try to be vigilant about hitting the recirculator if I drive into a dusty or smoky area. Easiest way to keep the filter and car clean is to not even let that dirty air into the car.

It's very simple to get to the air filter. Remember air flows down to the motor.

tigger19687 said:
?......DON"T DROP THE GLOVE BOX, the bottom just has 1/2 hooks so if you let it go it will fall on the floor ... yeah, ask how I know.......

That reminds me of this semi-hypothetical exchange...Between , for example, experienced mechanic (M) and younger assistant(A):

M...." Best to a use torque wrench on that assembly....can't strip threads that way."
A .....doesn't have one at hand so proceeds without it.

Next day A mentions he stripped thread on one bolt and spent an hour mitigating the problem.
A......to M..."How did you know?.
M......."I've got good judgement."
A........"How did you get good judgement?"
M........"Good experience..
A........"How did you get good experience?"
M........"Bad judgement."

Alex ;)

Back