siai47

Re: Gear Selector Misbehaving

Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:34 am

I wish I could post a picture here in a easy manner as I have a good picture of the transaxle split in two parts and you can see everything we are discussing. There are two things that need to be synchronized when adjusting the shift cable. There are the detents that you can see and feel very easily at the shifter in the car. There is a second set of detents inside the transaxle that need to line up exactly with the shifter detents. If you remove the cable from the shift arm on the transaxle you can feel them---they are really there to make sure the shift position switch is lined up correctly. The final thing is an adjustment of the electric position switch to correspond with the detent position in the transaxle. That is the purpose of the little "alignment pin" hole in the switch. Unless it is loose, the switch adjustment shouldn't be a problem. I still think there is a internal problem in the cable (stretched?) or where it clamps at either end. There cannot be any play in the cable or linkage to make this work. If you could get the car on a hoist or jack stands and someone to help you could check this all out. I would jack up the car so the rear wheels are off the ground and block the front wheels. Set the parking brake so the rear wheels cannot turn--you need to stay clear of the wheels and hands/arms away from the half-shafts when under the car just in case they do. With the car in the ready mode, have your helper put the transmission in neutral position and keep his feet away from the accelerator pedal. Disconnect the cable at the shift arm on the transaxle. Move the shift arm on the transaxle one position to either drive or reverse. Make sure you can feel the arm drop into the detent in the transaxle and ask your helper if the car is showing the proper position on the dash. Then have your helper move the gear selector to the position indicated on the dash (i.e. drive showing on the dash, move the shifter to drive) Do this for each position and each time verify that the cable end you removed from the shifter can be slipped back on the shift arm without any effort (no tugging on the cable, it should drop in place. Then pull and push on the cable end to check for any movement--there might be some but not more then a millimeter or so. When that is done, turn the car to the off position, put the shifter in park and release the parking brake. Move the transaxle shift arm to the park position and while having your helper hold one of the rear tires, rotate the other until the parking pawl drops into the lock position and neither rear tire can be rotated. Then check that the shift cable can be attached back in position and put the retainer back on the arm. BTW--the way the parking pawl is designed, depending on where the transmission gear is located when you try to put it in park, the car may or may not roll a bit until it locks in . This is normal like any other car that uses this method to lock the transmission. Also, like any other car, if you park on an incline and allow the car to roll into the position that the parking pawl drops into the gear, it wedges the two parts together and can make it very difficult to get the pawl to release with the shifter. Repeated parking in this manner can bend brackets, stretch the shift cable and mess up the adjustment between the shifter detents and the transaxle detents. If parking on a hill, always use the handbrake before releasing the service (foot) brake pedal and then put the transaxle in park. This will prevent this problem from happening. Sorry for the long post but like they say, it takes a thousand words to describe what a picture is worth. Good luck on getting this resolved.

PV1
Site Moderator

Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:12 am

Siai47, send your pictures to me at the link below, and I will post them.

http://dbinbox.com/pv1

Could your procedure be done with the car On, but not READY? This would allow the gear indicator on the dash to work, but it won't send any power to the motor.
:idea: :idea: :idea: :!: :!:

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

montybazbaz

Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:24 am

Thank you. My own email is dieselweasel185 at gmail dot com if you wish to send directly.

And guess what. The car is now behaving again ?! Drive engages with a good firm clonk. I really can't understand the intermittent nature of this.

Is there any way in which movement of the car with parking brake on will pull the cable further on to the P position ?

PV1
Site Moderator

Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:13 am

Perhaps there is a loose part or piece of something in the shifter assembly in the car?

Dropbox maintenance in progress. If any of my links aren't working after November 17, please PM me and let me know which one isn't working.

Thanks.

PV1
Site Moderator

Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:47 pm

Ok. Here are the photos Siai47 sent to me to post here. Very simple design indeed.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/icp14uhmpr38 ... CcDLa?dl=0

Thanks.

montybazbaz

Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:23 am

Well.....its been fine for ages. Then I left it unused for four days...

Reverse off our drive, then try to put it in D. The lever is very stiff and drops into the D position only after a good hard pull. But the display says N.

I try to put it into P but although the lever goes forward into P, the indicator shows R.

And pulling amd pushing it a few times get the car moving but not well. I drive to work leaving it in D all the way, and it's the same going home.

So I'm convinced it's something seizing up...god old stiction.

In desperation I try some WD40 on every joint/pivot on the cable/switch/rod mechanism at the rear of the car.

And the selector now works beatifully.....

So, I may have cured it but need a decent lubricant for long term use.

And oddly, as far as I know, lubricating all these buts ISN'T part of the service schedule. Given the prone position of these components I'm very surprised it's not touched.

PV1
Site Moderator

Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:40 am

I guess Joe isn't the first to wear out the shifter :lol: .

It still sounds like either the cable is going bad or there is debris somewhere locking it up.

Thanks.

montybazbaz

Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:49 am

I'll see how it gets on...but the feel.of the lever is back to normal. For now !

JoeS
Site Moderator

Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:21 am

montybazbaz wrote:...In desperation I try some WD40 on every joint/pivot on the cable/switch/rod mechanism at the rear of the car. And the selector now works beatifully.....
Wow, so you've shown that it is simply a lubrication issue and not an alignment problem or loose hardware. Thank you for your follow-up posting.

Now that you have temporarily addressed the issue (I never consider WD40 a permanent solution) perhaps need to consider all the moving parts (sheathed cables, levers, etc.) and figure out the best lubricant for each and carefully clean the surfaces and apply it? I can see this being a future issue for our friends in snowy northern climes.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

montybazbaz

Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:13 am

Well....its still early days but I think it's identified the issue. I'm in the UK in an area that sees a lot of salt in winter and the car is 5 years old....so I suspect it had all dried out and seized.

It looks awkward to sheath the relevant bits. Can anyone suggest a suitable long lasting lubricant, something able to withstand the harsh environment that the designers of the car stupidly decided to place these it in ?!

I can't believe I'm the first to have this problem though.

Return to “General Technical Discussions”