Canadian Recall work done at non i-Miev Mitsubishi dealer

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky49

After 4 weeks of twwing and Frowing, between Misubishi Canada and Mitsubishi North America, I am authorized to take my 2012 I-Miev to Northside Mitsubishi in Edmonton who will do the required recalls. Neither Mitsubishi Canada or Mitsubishi Canada wanted to pay for the 700 km+ round trip to a Calgary area dealer to do the recall work. We will see how this works out, our 2nd service appointment is scheduled for next Monday. I put this out to the group because I am not sure we are not the only folks who have lost local I-miev service. Mitsu Canada said they did not think the required recall work was dangerous or require specially trained techs to complete and therefore authorized Northside Mitsubishi to do the required tasks.

Rocky 49

Rocky 49 - thanks for the update. Hope you don't mind my fixing your typos in the title.

Interesting dilemma for the manufacturer, as even a simple recall such as this costs them a significant amount. Wonder if a manufacturer could refuse to sell to anyone more than 50-miles away from a dealership, or make the owner liable for transportation to the dealership for warranty/recall work?

I think if you buy a car from a dealer farther away from your home than the car can drive, you probably are responsible for getting it back to the dealership for service or warranty work . . . . even if Mitsu helped you (by using the one time free tow) with the initial trip from the dealer to your home - You knew when you bought it you couldn't drive it back to the dealership for service or warranty work. If that was my case, I wouldn't be complaining too loudly

But in my case and several others here, we had a local dealership which has either folded or decided to no longer be part of Mitsu's EV program after we bought the car, and IMO, that's another matter. We may well have decided not to purchase if we knew that any required service was going to require an expensive tow truck ride to and from a dealer more than a hundred miles away

So far, it seems Mitsu is working with us when our local dealer is no longer 'local' and kudos to them for doing so

Don

Actually when I bought my I-Miev they were Canadian dealers within driving distance (15 miles) who sold I-Mievs. They simply could not be bothered to bring in any to sell. They were authorized dealers who said, I don't have any, I don't want any, and I don't want to see any! They sold 2 or 3 and would not order any more. Southside Mitsubishi was the dealer in question. We live in Alberta, where there are no local, provincial or federal incentive to drive green cars. So this is a similar attitude you encounter at Alberta Ford dealers when you try to look at green cars. The Mitusibisi dealer in Richmond BC was the dealer who went out of his way to sell us a car even though he had none to sell. He demo'ed his service loaner I-Miev to us, but could not sell it, and Mitsubishi would not let him order more or tell him when he could order more, (this was April 2014).

We drive Mitzi very carefully knowing full well if she is in an accident she could well be a write off, because no one will fix her. Waiting patiently for her Monday afternoon service appointment.

Rocky 49

More on the saga of Mitzi and her recalls. Today January 5th, 2015 I had a call from Mitsubishi Canada saying the parts for the recall were on order from the USA and they would call me when they arrive in Edmonton. This process has been going on for more than a month, and so far has involved two trips to the local non imiev dealer. Interesting fact 7 cars in our house and the only ones not under recall awaiting parts are a 1980 Triumph TR7 and a 1994 Volkswagen Campervan. Toyota, GM and Mitlsubishi (5) cars in all, all awaiting parts to complete recalls.

Rocky

I just did the two recalls. Was told by the dealer that it didn't require much work at all. Basically, they hooked up the MUT-III to the car and ran some test. So, it shouldn't be any hassle to have this work done. My car didn't require any parts - the vacuum pump had been replaced at the original recall and there was no corrosion on the battery mounting bolts. They cleared my AirBag Warning light that I had accidentally set off over a year ago. Hamilton Mitsubishi which was my closest dealer closed shop last fall, now I have to go to Erin Mills in Mississauga for service. I didn't make it - I was 13 kilometers shy and needed a tow. Next time I'll have to request a later appointment and sit at the L2 Charger in Grimsby for a boost to get it into Erin Mills.

While there I heard that Mitsubishi Corporate Headquarters was test driving the Outlander PHEV. There are apparently 4 on the road right now. I'd love to have one of those!

January 20,2015 and we are still waiting for Mitsubishi to ship our dealer Northside Mitsubishi in Edmonton the parts to complete the undercarriage recall. Northside says the required parts are backordered until late February 2015. This is not impressive, if you are recalling a product you should order the parts to be produced and then ship them to your parts warehouses. Even a slow boat from Japan would have got stuff here by now. Fortunately Mitzi drives just fine as is.

Rocky 49

Rocky49 said:
...we are still waiting for Mitsubishi to ship our dealer Northside Mitsubishi in Edmonton the parts to complete the undercarriage recall…

You are not alone! I am also waiting for the undercarriage recall here in Winnipeg, and have been for the last month. No worries though, I'm not expecting the thing to fall apart anytime soon, even with all the salt they throw down.

I've been waiting for two months, I received the letter dated November 2014 on dec 12, called the dealer right away to book my appt. was told parts were on order and haven't heard from them since, I called ten minutes ago and was told that they still weren't in!

Update March 4th, I called the Mitsubishi dealer and he says the parts for the undercarriage recall are still on back order!. It has been 3 and a half months so far and the parts are still not available. Why if the recall is ordered by the company or NTSB or Transport Canada don't they have the parts? They only sold 2000 of these critters in North America, any decent jobber ought to be able to crank out the parts kit in a day or two.. Even a slow boat from Japan ought to be in Vancouver by now or do all Mitsubishi parts arrive in North America from Oakland? Mitzi continues to truck on while awaiting new bits and pieces. Has anyone gotten the pats installed recently?

Rocky near Edmonton, Alberta

No, haven't had this installed yet, but I need to on both cars. Guess I should call the dealer very soon to get the process started.

My dealer called today to let me know the parts have have arrived. He's in Nanaimo, BC. Hopefully they get to AB soon.

Back