dniemeyer99

RBS light Alarm

Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:06 pm

Here we go again. Another trip to the dealer which is 350 km away.

Last week my AC failed. Just before it did I heard the AC compressor bang whenever the AC turned on.

Today, as I was leaving a shopping centre, the RBS light the "!" light and the turtle light turned on just when I pressed on the brake. Stopped the car, recycled the key three times. Each time the alarm when on when I touched the brake. The system also defaulted to turtle mode which allowed me to travel 1 km to be able to rent a car.

The car is now on it way the dealer, third time this year. Not happy.

This issue maybe related to the AC as the system may require cooling on the motor controller. Today was the first warm day in the north and therefore "maybe" triggered the alarm.

Let you know what happens.

Dave

iwatson

Re: RBS light Alarm

Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:06 pm

Is it a 2014 or a 2012? .... Just Curious
2012 Silver Mitsubishi iMiev ES with QC
2012 Raspberry Mitsubishi IMiev SE Premium with QC
2011 Viridian Joule Chevrolet Volt Premium
2002 Forest River Sunseeker 3100 LE
2001 Buick LeSabre custom
1997 Chrysler Town & Country LX

Blink 240V EVSE

PV1
Site Moderator

Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:00 pm

Turtle and RBS? Did you lose regen and acceleration power? Sounds like there is a bad/weak connection somewhere. Unfortunately, we haven't yet heard back on what the issue was with Sandange's first car (went through 3 chargers in a short period of time and bad AC, I believe).

The AC has nothing to do with cooling the motor or electronics, only the battery during quick charging.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015

2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Driving electric since 2-21-2013.

dniemeyer99

Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:28 am

Called the dealer after 2 weeks. It seems they have not found the problem for either the RBS alarm or the AC.

More correctly, they have test driven the car and found no fault with the RBS alarm. This alarm was trigger when ever I touched the brakes. But now that it is at the dealer it is not happening. My guess and I say this as an uneducated guess is that when they were looking into the problems, the technician reset the ECU and cleared the fault. Does anyone on the forum know how we might be able to reset the ECU without disconnecting the 12 V battery. Just like to know in-case the RBS alarm happens again.

As for the AC, Mitsubishi corporate has not approved replacement of the compressor under warrantee until they are sure it is the problem. Funny how a car company can not find the problem with an AC system within two weeks. Really wish they would get off their butts and understand that warrantee's are a product/service and are subject to the consumer protection ACT of the country.

And to answer the questions below, the car year is 2012 and yes I did lose re-gen braking when the RBS light turned on.

Dave

dniemeyer99

Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:22 am

Four Week Update

Problem still not resolved. No ETA on A/C compressor. Mitsubishi is NOT impressing me with their service. I have been without my car so far for 14 weeks this year alone.

I guess Mitsubishi will not be getting my companies business. To bad to, it might have been a 7 figure contract.

Dave

sandange

Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:48 am

I feel your pain.
It sounds familiar to my first (2012) Miev experience I had, they just couldn't find the problem.
After 2 months and 3 trips back to the dealer, I had enough and worked out an agreement for a new 2014 Miev.
Puey Bluey 2014 Miev
76,400 miles, 123,000 km
Previous EVs
Blackie - 2012 ES Miev 2 years - 67,000 km / (41,630 miles)
Total Electric miles driven
118,000, (190,000 km)

dniemeyer99

Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:53 am

Week Six update:

Still no car. The dealer ordered a new compressor but it seems that there are two versions and Japan sent the wrong one. Not sure how long I will have to wait now.

This is really really getting sad. The car I purchased has been at the dealer twice this year for a total of 16 weeks so far. That's four months driving an ICE. And most of this wait has been because of supply problems. Not only do they not advertise this car, they don't seems to even support servicing the car.

It is hard to be positive about the car or the company when you are waiting for quality service for this long. In some level I joined this forum to add my views on the importance of BEV and their advantages. But I can't do that when I am not driving a BEV.

Dave

PV1
Site Moderator

Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:58 pm

dniemeyer99 wrote:Not only do they not advertise this car, they don't seems to even support servicing the car.

But yet we've had two recalls on something that's really not an issue. Don't get me wrong, the brake pump is a critical component, but how many have actually failed?
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC - 2/21/2013
Solar-powered since 10/10/2013

"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC - 1/5/2015

2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC - 7/31/2017

Driving electric since 2-21-2013.

dniemeyer99

Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:12 pm

Sorry PV1

This is also one of the issue with my car. Mine did fail but because it had a recall the dealership had the parts in their stock. Therefore, the car was fixed in 45 minutes. The only issue I had was to get it to the nearest iMeiv dealership which is 350 km away. But because it failed I was able to use roadside assistant.

Dave

danpatgal

Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:16 pm

Thanks for posting your experiences. Thankfully, knock on wood, we have had no trouble with ours and most iMiev owners seem to be pretty happy with the car too (perhaps the unhappy ones don't bother to post here ??). Of course there is bound to be some glitches with all these new EVs, more so than with ICEVs that have generally had the glitches worked out. I sometimes visit the i3 or Leaf forums, and there are plenty of problems and horror stories to read through, so I don't think the iMiev is unique in this regard.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for sharing. It helps us owners, and potential buyers, know what to expect and prepare, or negotiate, for and hopefully learn from those problems. I think that Mitsubishi will abandon the iMiev once the PHEV Outlander comes to market (2016 sometime?) while the iMiev is not seriously marketed or sold; perhaps it was/is just a way for Mitsubishi to improve the electric drive train so that the PHEV Outlander will be a more solid product.

Return to “General Technical Discussions”