kiev

Re: RBS light Alarm

Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:41 pm

Which wires you disconnect depends on where the problem is located--on the low-voltage or the high-voltage side. But just to be sure the 12V fuse(s) for the AC could be pulled, and the connector for the HV pulled, and that would disable it completely.

With the car OFF and key out of the ignition there will be no HV on the wires to the AC. The connector could be pulled and the junctions covered with electrical tape to keep out dirt and rainwater.

The AC compressor is so expensive because it has a small motor inverter built in, along with the 3-phase motor driving the pump--it is like a small version of our car without the gearbox, shafts and wheels.

i would be happy to troubleshoot and repair it for you.

!Image!
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

justoneman

Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:01 pm

I have little confidence that disconnecting the AC compressor will allow the car to run again with no consequences. I say this because I see only one story online of someone doing this. I am paying for diagnostic fees at the dealership. Were I to not have a repair made, I pay these fees and then I would have to pay for a flatbed to get it home only to try to affect a change that may just be an internet story.

kiev

Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:53 pm

Did they happen to tell you what trouble codes they found when connecting the MUT3? There is a list of trouble codes for the AC system and each code has a troubleshooting and test procedure associated with it.

For example B1101 is an AC system trouble code:

This code is set when one of the following conditions is met.
When B1102 A/C compressor inverter error (overcurrent) occurs 10 times or more
When B1117 A/C compressor inverter error (controller error) occurs 2 times or more
When B1118 A/C compressor inverter error (temperature sensor error) occurs 2 times or more

There are not a lot of these cars around and issues are more like computer and electrical problems moreso than the typical mechanical stuff. (need electronic tools to solve issues rather than wrenches and hammers)

justoneman

Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:43 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I have suggested to the dealership, the idea of a used AC compressor. They managed to hunt one down. The part is returnable for refund but all the labor at the dealership is not. So there is a big risk. In addition I have to wait 30 days for the special oil for the compressor to be shipped from Japan.

JoeS
Site Moderator

Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:01 pm

For what it's worth, here is the note I had received from the owner of the i-MiEV with the defective AC unit -

The Mitsubishi dealer ... found the following diagnostic fault codes :
P1A44: Leak detection (BMU)
P1A44: Leak sensor detection circuit (BMU)
P0562: Battery voltage low (My note: which battery?)
B1101: Elc. compressor (Eternity) (sic)
B1102: Elc. compressor (Current)
(legend from the myimev.com forum)
viewtopic.php?t=490
As I had mentioned, the AC system had stopped cooling the day before the turtle mode, RBS and "!" warning lights had started to come on.
The dealer found that disconnecting the AC compressor removed all fault codes and warning lights.
The quote for a new compressor, installed, including tax, was $4450. We have decided to go without AC for now.

I'm pretty sure the dealer would not have disconnected the high voltage wiring.
EVs: 2 Wht/Blu SE Prem., '13 Tesla MS85, 3 156v CorbinSparrows (2 Li-ion), 24v EcoScoot(LiFePO4)
EV Conv: 156v '86 Ram PU, 144v '65 Saab 96
Hybrids: 48v1kW bike
ICE: '88 Isuzu Trooper. Mothballed: '67 Saab (orig.owner), '76 MBZ L206D RHD RV

kiev

DTC P1A44

Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:34 am

This code is referenced as BMU leakage detect, and what it means is a Ground Fault (leakage) was detected in the HV system somewhere.

It could be due to an issue in any one of these high voltage circuits, or in the insulation of any of the cables (insulation resistance of less than 10 MOhms).

!Image!

justoneman

Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:19 pm

No matter what, my dealer would not disconnect the AC as a solution. They would let me take the car on a flat bed and pay all the diagnostic fees. This would be foolish to do as I am not so sure this is a real solution. Besides I obviously would prefer to have functional AC. The projected cost of the used part and all other costs is $1500. I can justify this cost. I cannot justify $4500 for the new part installed. I paid $4500 for the car in the first place.

Fingers crossed.

Return to “General Technical Discussions”