TFLcar clueless i-MiEV review - video

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vike

Feel like having an irritated laugh? Check out this cutesy, borderline clueless video review of the 2014 i-MiEV by Emme Hall.

http://www.tflcar.com/2014/10/2014-mitsubishi-i-miev-takes-electricity-to-dc-video-review/

The overall feel is that TFLcar lets a party girl do car reviews (that may be unfair to Ms. Hall, since something about the i-MiEV does seem to bring out the stupid in reviewers). Start with the fact that she's talking about the electric motor "under the hood" while standing in front of the open hood at the FRONT of the car (at least she knows it's RWD). Move on to shrill ranting about range anxiety, then idiotic comments dis'ing the essential remote climate control, totally missing the point for an EV. She drives around in Eco mode and complains about poor pickup, then spouts the absurd lie that speed tops out at 61 mph (though she is pleasantly surprised by 0-30mph time in Eco mode, unaware that "flooring it" is always full "throttle" in any mode). Because the 60+ mile range would constrain her personal greater-WashDC lifestyle, she implies that anyone buying the i-MiEV must be a drudge. She wraps up by claiming the i-MiEV is more expensive than the Smart ED, but the $13k price she quotes for the Smart is obviously for the ICE version.

On the plus side, I will say this is the best video look I've had at the 2014 interior, and it really is quite nice, a kind of "best of both worlds" from the 2012 ES and SE trims (at least for my tastes).

TFLcar has cravenly closed this piece to comments, but feel free to vent here :roll:

I understand such spoiled blonde, accustomed to fast, luxury cars. For such people I-MiEV feels like real shit. Their mentality is completely different. They are not willing to even consider the possibility of waiting somewhere for two hours to recharge the battery, or, for example, driving without heating in winter if necessary. IMHO their opinions should be taken with understanding.

Vike, your overview was spot-on and I think you touched upon most of her inaccuracies! Her over-dramatized range anxiety comments are symptomatic of an innumerate incapable of advance planning. I can't help but wonder if she even understands her own actual daily driving mileage, and she's certainly not interested in figuring out how to accommodate it with an EV.

Of all her inane comments, especially lifting the hood and pointing at the 'engine', I think her claiming a top speed of 61 mph grated on me the most (the closer number for the i-MiEV is 81 mph, faster than one can legally drive on any US highway). Don, you might note that in another interview she referred to her Miata as a "slow car", but I won't provide the link as most of those people's objective is to generate clicks onto their referenced websites.

I'm afraid that this is just another sad and shallow example of an i-MiEV "review", which, despite her being able to spout off a few memorized numbers while driving, is full of inane comments and inaccuracies which have IMO destroyed any credibility Ms. Hall might have aspired to.

It's hard to watch. Like many people are clueless as to where their fuel is coming from and what it is doing to their health and the environment. As long they get what they want it doesn't matter to them what the consequences are. They just want big, fast and flashy.

:|

6 seconds to 30 MPH?
The baskets would fit if you didn't have the rear seats fully reclined.
You didn't hear anything because you didn't actually start it. (never went to READY)
The i-MiEV can drive 75% of the way around DC on I-495 on one charge, not to mention 5 public quick chargers within the 495 belt.
Put it in D or B and it's a whole different beast, though its actual power never changes, it simply extends pedal travel.
61 mph top speed?

It's amazing how unprofessional these "professional" reviews are.

Of course, we know these things, but sites like tflcar conveniently elect to leave comments turned off so we can't correct their blatant errors.

MLucas said:
Like many people are clueless as to where their fuel is coming from and what it is doing to their health and the environment. As long they get what they want it doesn't matter to them what the consequences are. They just want big, fast and flashy.
Truer words never spoken.

http://www.tflcar.com/2014/09/2014-mitsubishi-imiev-first-impression/

According to this, her RR was apparently dropping at roughly double the rate of actual miles driven, which would alarm me, but I'm wondering why it would be dropping so fast. Is she staying on the throttle until right up to when she needs to stop, then nail the brakes? Without utilizing regen, the car's range can drop to 40-50 miles.

PV1 said:
http://www.tflcar.com/2014/09/2014-mitsubishi-imiev-first-impression/
According to this, her RR was apparently dropping at roughly double the rate of actual miles driven, which would alarm me, but I'm wondering why it would be dropping so fast. .

If her RR was actually 62 to start off I'd be quite surprised. Bet it had been driven very gently on the previous 15 miles, possibly without Heat or A/C and the newby driver was just much less efficient. Driving a 'small battery' EV is a significant paradigm shift, "specially if one is normally 'footloose and fancy-free".

Yeah, her whole review isn't jiving with me. In the video, she said her RR started at 68, and was dropping slightly faster than she was driving (4 real miles was 5-7 miles RR, for example), but to have a number like that in the warm month of September, she definitely had the AC on, or there was something wrong the i-MiEV she was driving. I'm having trouble believing you can drop range like that in the city without HVAC on. So I'm wondering, how much time did she sit in traffic with the AC on, then make the faulty claim that her range dropped twice as fast as she used it? The only times I see starting RR in the 60's is when temperature is 60F or less, HVAC is on, or I was driving on the highway.

Back