Review 2014 Mitsubishi i-MiEV

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiddlerJohn

Michael Perkins said:
... the i-MiEV has a total range of just 62 miles and a claimed top speed of 81 mph. Good luck reaching either milestone, however, as real-world testing has put them in a certain elusive category ....
It should be obvious to anyone that has driven a Mitsubishi i-MiEV that Michael Perkins has not.

Has anyone ever had trouble reaching either milestone?

Other than that, this is one of the more positive reviews.

(Okay, okay, Beccy Gordon only averaged 47 mph in her stock i-MiEV climbing up Pikes Peak in 2012. Ms. Gordon didn't get near 62 miles of range either, but Michael Perkins is talking about normal driving, not straight up a mountain.)

And which review was that, by the way?

This might help (unless you meant a different one): :D

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/2014-Mitsubishi-i-MiEV-Overview-c24301

Perkins also opens with some utterly appalling math, referring to the 2014 as getting a 60% price cut, but getting there by comparing the 2012's MSRP to the 2014's MSRP minus the very same tax credits that would have applied to the 2012.

A 20% price cut's already a pretty big deal (and I'd argue a game changer), but let's not overstate how much we 2012 buyers got soaked, hmm?

Vike said:
And which review was that, by the way?

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/2014-Mitsubishi-i-MiEV-Overview-c24301

Perkins also opens with some utterly appalling math, referring to the 2014 as getting a 60% price cut, but getting there by comparing the 2012's MSRP to the 2014's MSRP minus the very same tax credits that would have applied to the 2012.

A 20% price cut's already a pretty big deal (and I'd argue a game changer), but let's not overstate how much we 2012 buyers got soaked, hmm?
Sorry. Yes, that's the link that I neglected to insert. Thank you for correcting my error.

If the Fed tax credit could be changed to a $7500 discount at purchase, many more buyers would be interested.

Yes, I agree -- the game is changing.

Well, yeah. You're not going to hit 62 miles going 81 mph, but either are easily achieved, thought the fastest I've taken my i-MiEV was 72 mph, coasting down a hill on the parkway.

I don't understand these reviewers. They bash Mitsubishi left and right, and in particular, the remote. However, Honda goes and does the same thing (same remote), and it's wonderful. :twisted: :twisted: :roll: They must love to hate Mitsubishi.

I can assure you that the i-MiEV has no problem cruising at 80mph (it noticeably limits at 81mph) nor going 75 miles on one charge on its OEM LRR tires, though, as PV1 pointed out, you can't do both. To this reviewer's credit, he did identify the primary market for the car - which, DUH, happens to be the majority of most drivers' daily usage here in the US.

With the 2014 i-MiEV coming out, I suspect we will have another spate of inane "reviews" in the motoring press, some of which had caused my blood to boil (e.g., Consumer Reports) the first time around.

Thus, the question on the table is: should we, as experienced owners, waste our time on each of those websites (rather than here) methodically pointing out the inaccuracies in those reviews and highlight the key advantages/disadvantages of the car that the reviewer missed - or should we just ignore them and not even refer to their websites (recognizing their mission is to attract traffic)?

For myself, I think that two years ago the motoring press (including CR), in general, did a horrible disservice to the i-MiEV with no accountability for their actions - and that perhaps we are in the best position to call them out.

Yes, I'm enthusiastic about our little car, but, hopefully, I have a realistic perspective with no financial bias motivating me - after all, I bought the car, have no desire to sell it so I don't care what it's resale value will be in the future, nor do I have any vested interest in Mitsubishi. I just get defensive when (self-professed?) "experts" says things that are factually incorrect.

BTW, in this review this guy mentioned an SE model and its options - I thought there was only going to be one version of the 2014 i-MiEV?

Consumer's Reports have been quite trollish lately. They published the worst cars of 2014 and included the BMW 7-series. Huh?

I see that a couple of us have indeed posted in the comments section of that review. I'm saving my notes to use with other reviews, as hopefully having a couple of years' personal experience with the i-MiEV counts for something...

JoeS said:
BTW, in this review this guy mentioned an SE model and its options - I thought there was only going to be one version of the 2014 i-MiEV?
I don't think he did - he referred to a "SE Premium" package, with much the same equipment that we saw in the Premium package for the 2012 SE. I suppose it makes financial sense to continue to offer this for the price-insensitive gadget enthusiast, though honestly I personally never saw much point in a nav package on a car that can't leave town. I wouldn't ship too many Premiums, though. That said, while the overall review isn't really hostile, it's pretty sloppy, so I wouldn't be surprised if the writer just incorrectly assumed the Premium package would be offered on the 2014. I guess we'll know soon enough.

I'm pretty enthusiastic about the 2014's pricing and equipment, and have started talking up the car again (a bit). The only thing that dampens my enthusiasm is uncertainty about how easy it's going to be to get one. It's a great EV deal, but if Mitsubishi limits supplies and/or the dealer network collapses, buying may be a bit of a challenge. At least folks outside CA get to play.

JoeS said:
After the usual deprecating remarks about the i-MiEV's looks (although we got a laugh about of the concept that it had 'escaped from a carnival ride'), not a bad review from the Portland Tribune:

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/11-fe...mitsubishi-miev-bargain-basement-electric-car
I'd agree it's an unusually positive piece, except for this mind-blowing error:
PortlandTrib said:
Charging times for the MiEV are longer than most other electric vehicles — 14 hours from a 240 volt outlet and 22 hours from a 120 volt outlet.
No, no, NO, NO, NO!!!

Those charge times are BOTH for L1 120v charging, one at 8A, one at 12A (a new toggle option with the 2014 model's bundled L1 EVSE). The writer has turned what should have been a huge win for the 2014 i-MiEV (the new ability to almost fully charge overnight at L1, allowing many more buyers to forego the expense of a L2 EVSE) into a massive fail ("Needs 14 hours to charge from L2?? WTF??").

I probably shouldn't get too bent out of shape about a detail that matters most to buyers who can figure out the truth quickly enough. But sheesh.

Back