Solar Charging Stations at Mitsubishi Headquarters

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imievnews

Mitsubishi installed a solar charging system at it's North American headquarters. The total cost for the 2 110-volt chargers, one 220-volt charger, and one CHAdeMO charger was $130,000. Mitsubishi says the system can be ordered for public production.
MITSUBISHI-CYPRESS-CHARGING-STATION2.jpg

The investment is a sign that Mitsubishi is getting big on electric vehicles. Joe Delello, Mitsubishi Motors North America's directer of electric vehicle operations says "we believe EVs and hybrids will basically dominate our future in the U.S."

MITSUBISHI-DC-QUICK-CHARGER1.jpg

My company should install a charging station like this, that would be awesome! Then I could charge my Mitsubishi i-Miev while I'm at work!

One thing I always find lacking about solar charging is info on where in the country it works. For instance, in Seattle WA where I live, is there enough sun? Would this charging station put anything out in cloudy skies, or is it only in full sunlight?

I was at the unveiling. Here is a copy of the piece I did for mynissanleaf.com the day of the event:

Quick Charging comes to Southern California
Michael J. Walsh

In a forward thinking move, Mitsubishi Electric and Mitsubishi Motors North America have partnered to build a solar-powered charging station for electric vehicles at the Mitsubishi Motors corporate headquarters in Cypress, California. This station was unveiled today, and will be available to the general public beginning next week. Initially at least, charging will be free to all-comers and available during regular business hours.

Not only is this charging station the first of it's kind in Cypress, it is the first of it's kind in Southern California, being as it features the first DC Quick Charger in this part of the state. The DC quick charger, manufactured by the Eaton Corporation and featuring the CHAdeMO charging connector, is capable of recharging electric vehicles, like their own Mitsubishi "i", to 80% charged in around 25 minutes. This is an area infrastructure addition that has been hugely anticipated by local electric vehicle owners.

The station also features a 240v "level 2" charger from Eaton, which will charge the "i" in about 6 hours, and then two sets of 120v outlets for slower trickle charging. So this station is capable of charging at least four vehicles at a time. Six even, if all four 120v sockets can be utilized without tripping the circuit. All this is powered by 96, 175w Mitsubishi Electric photovoltaic modules, providing 16.8kW maximum power, in an attractive twin-arch canopy design by California Green Design with electrical work by Rogers Electric.

Img_5806.jpg

Img_5807.jpg

Img_5809.jpg

Img_5810.jpg

Img_5811.jpg

Back