Mitsubishi to stop manufacturing cars in the United States

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lithim

Just read a story (sorry no link) about Mitsubishi pulling out of manufacturing cars in the US. (Plant in Normal, Illinois). Their plan is to concentrate on the Asia market. A question still remains if they will continue to sell cars in the US.
Potentially not good news for the I-Miev club.

Lithim said:
Just read a story (sorry no link) about Mitsubishi pulling out of manufacturing cars in the US. (Plant in Normal, Illinois). Their plan is to concentrate on the Asia market. A question still remains if they will continue to sell cars in the US.
Potentially not good news for the I-Miev club.

So far, no official comment. Rumors are often true, but can be quite destructive, even when false.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/07/23/us-mitsubishimotors-usa-production-idUSKCN0PX2GJ20150723
Mitsubishi Motors Corp, faced with declining U.S. demand and an expiring union contract at its only plant in North America, declined to comment Thursday on a report that it planned to end auto production in this country.

Japan's Nikkei news service said the plan to cease production at Mitsubishi's plant in Normal, Illinois, is part of a strategic shift to the growing Asian market.

The company has "no statement," said a spokesperson for Mitsubishi Motors North America.

hmmm, guess we need to find out if they will still sell cars here !
I think they will, but will probably only keep a few dealers open.

They haven't been doing well in the US for quite a while. I was in Puerto Rico on vacation and I was stunned how popular they are there. There was a huge Mitsubishi presence there.

The most Mitsubishi's I've seen in one place was Altoona, PA. There must have been over 3 dozen Mirage's on the road within a few miles of each other.

The sad thing is, I can't say I'm surprised. We're all aware of their marketing strength in the US :roll:.

Back