16AMP OR 32 AMP CHARGER WHICH ONE SHOULD I GO FOR? U.K

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANDY4004

Hi In the UK Silverstone Green Energy are offering a free 16amp charge socket, to be fitted at Home,or for a fee of £100, a 32 Amp Socket. (UK Government will subsidise this.) I don't mind paying the £100 charge for a 32 Amp Socket, as I know this will reduce the charging time. The only thing I am concerned with is , if I charge at 32 Amps each time will I reduce the batteries life, as opposed to if I charge at 16 amps? Grateful for any Advice on this Andrew

Andy4004,

The I-miev comes with a 3.3 kw on board charger which means the car cannot accept any more than approximately 3300 watts from the EVSE. The 32 amp. "socket" at an assumed 240 volts(UK ?) gives a power output of 7680 watts or 7.68 kw. Much more power than the on board charger can accept.
The 16amp. service would provide half that amount or 3.84 kw. which is closer to the maximum charge capacity of the car. On the other hand, another electric vehicle you purchase in the future may may able to handle the higher capacity, ie the new BWM i3 comes with a 7.4 kw on board charger.
Hope this helps.

Silver ES, 2012 with CHAdeMO and 10000+ miles
Acquired Feb. 2013

We don't get the option of 16a or 32a. Current is limited to 16 amps by the onboard charger, regardless of what circuit is supplying it. So, the only reason to upgrade to a 32 amp EVSE would be to future-proof your car park, or to be a more generous host to your LEAF-driving friends.

Charging at a higher rate on L2 has not been shown to decrease battery life. Only repeated L3 recharges that elevate the battery's internal temperatures faster than the heat can be removed has been shown to impact life. Charging at L1 with the stock 8 amp EVSE has been shown to waste more power during the finishing charge (cell balancing bleeds off power from fully charged cells while waiting for the weaker cells to fill up).

Enjoy your i!

jray3 said:
Charging at L1 with the stock 8 amp EVSE has been shown to waste more power during the finishing charge (cell balancing bleeds off power from fully charged cells while waiting for the weaker cells to fill up).
He won't be doing any L1 charging in the UK - Everything is 220/240 there

Don

At i-MiEV does not care that the wallbox is 16A or 32A; will charge to its own maximum, which is about 14 A.

A wallbox 32A only serve a modern Leaf (2013 and later), in Europe. The new electric cars in Europe (BMW i3, Renault Zoe, VW e-Golf) have a different plug, Type 2 (EN 62196-2, "Mennekes") and not the Type 1 (SAE J1772, "Yazaki") of i-Miev, Leaf or Ampera/Volt

I only consider a 32A wallbox with Type2 32A plug, for charging i-MiEV through an adapter cable. And that only looking to the future, to the successor of the i-Miev...

Type2plug_Type1plug.jpg

Otherwise, I'd take the 16A wallbox.

Back