charging at work proposal template

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndm

I've already gotten permission to charge at work for a small fee, but in the interest of EV advancement would anyone like to make a generic form stating the merits and costs associated with workplace charging that could be presented to employers to help get permission for people whose workplaces deny charging, I would do it but am really not articulate enough

Sure, let's start a draft.

Dear Facility Manager,

In a personal effort to reduce usage of foreign oil and commute in the most environmentally-benign manner possible, I am now driving an Electric Vehicle to work. Receiving company authorization to plug into a 120 Volt, 15 amp outlet for recharging my car during the work day would greatly simplify my daily routine and eliminate the break time that I now use to move my car to and from an offsite charging station. Cost to the company would be minimal, as my car can only use enough energy to replenish the morning's commute. In my case, that is 2.4 kWh of electricity, worth about $0.24. Also, my UL-listed charging equipment restricts current flow to only 8 amps, which is well below the 15 amp maximum that our outlets are designed to support, so there can be no question of safety. I am also willing to deploy cord protectors to eliminate any tripping hazard to pedestrians.

In addition to complementing our corporate policy on greenhouse gas reduction, you may have already realized that $0.24 per day is far less cost than the company-subsidized bus fares that many of our coworkers take advantage of. Similarly, my car consumes half as much energy per hour as our delivery truck's block heater or the receptionist's space heater.

Lastly, if you have any interest in installing an on-site EV charging station, I can assist in that project with a briefing on the tax credits, likely installation costs and different business models available, some of which would generate a profit for the company each time an EV plugs in.

Sincerely,
Your Minion

I think that rather than doing the math on what we say the car actually uses, which is very dependent on how low the battery is when you arrive, the form letter should offer to pay for the cost of the maximum amount of electricity the outlet could provide in a worst case scenario - In other words, 120 volts at 15 amps for the number hours in a typical work day.

120 volts @ 15 amps is 1800 watts, times 9 hours is 16KW (and you could, worst case, use that much if you somehow arrived at work with your battery nearly flat) times the cost per Kwh the company pays for juice - Here, that would be about 10 cents, so $1.60 per day times 5 days per week would be $8 per work week

An offer to pay may very well get you permission to plug in for free, once management understands there is no way you could possible use any more than that from their 15 amp outlet and offering to pay for the worst case scenario would make it a much easier 'sell' to the company management, IMO

Don

Back