Anyone thinking of purchasing the new/improved 2014's?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatedad11

As much as I have enjoyed driving my 2012 I-MiEV, I was seriously thinking of getting a LEAF/FFE/Volt when the car comes off lease. The price of the car when I leased it was $29,000 and as we know, base model LEAF is cheaper than that, has more range, is larger and seems better equipped. FFE has the better looks, longer range and more room too, but is more expensive. When Ford announced a price reduction, it started to look a whole lot better to me. The biggest issue for me has been the battery size in combination with time to charge the car. I now use 110V at home for 99% of my charging, and it's still a pretty good way to go for me. But knowing that EV's are out there with 6.6 on board chargers, QC capability, and an additional 10-15 mile range, I was pretty much resigned to moving on with this car. Since the news of the I's lower price and upgraded features as standard, I am having second thoughts. Although the battery is as small as ever, being able to QC the car minimizes that problem significantly. Mitsubishi has a pretty nice little car in the "I", I have gotten used to its smaller size, and quirky looks. At $22,000 I could see myself getting this in place of a larger LEAF. Since they also upgraded the cable to allow 12 amp charging, that also cuts down on my overnight charging. I typically put about 35 miles/day on my I. Because I need the 12 hours or so to recharge fully at 110V, more often than not I'd park the car for the night when I came home from work, knowing that I'd be at 100% in the morning ready for work. With the upgraded cable, I guess I could expect to see about 5 miles charge per hour. Meaning that I could plug in and need only about 8 hours to fully recharge. That's a nice improvement. I'd have liked an upgraded on board charger, would mean I could recharge the car completely in probably a little over 3 hours, but they did what they did and I could probably live with it. We don't yet have ANY QC Fast Charging stations in Philadelphia, but they say they are a comin...

Well, if our i were totalled tomorrow, we'd be in line for a '14 while taking a second look at the FFE, but the LEAF don't do it for me. Similarly, if our minivan dies in the 1-3 year timeframe (but not this year, thanks to Mitsu's fantastic production planning!), the Outlander PHEV is voted Most Likely to Succeed.

jray3 said:
Well, if our i were totalled tomorrow, we'd be in line for a '14 while taking a second look at the FFE, but the LEAF don't do it for me. Similarly, if our minivan dies in the 1-3 year timeframe (but not this year, thanks to Mitsu's fantastic production planning!), the Outlander PHEV is voted Most Likely to Succeed.

I definitely like that Outlander PHEV. I hope that comes in 2015. The demand has been so great around the world for the Outlander that MMC has had to delay the US release of the vehicle.

Back on topic, I couldn't blame anyone for wanting to move on from the i-MiEV. It's a great car but it may not be the right car for everyone. The Tesla Model E is due to be revealed in 2015. That should make some of us pause.

Mitsu needs all our help - It's rumored they won't be selling cars at all in North America come 2015, so anyone wanting an iMiEV better not wait too long!

http://t.money.msn.com/investing/5-companies-you-wont-see-after-2014-1

Don

I don't think the 2014 model will have anything in it that I want that isn't already in my MY 2012.

After my experience with the Nissan LEAF, I no longer trust Nissan (the corporation). They've lost my trust over the battery degradation in hot weather issue and how they've responded to it.

Your post sounds like you're mostly concerned about faster charging. The i-MiEV charges fine at 240 volts using either the upgraded EVSE (http://evseupgrade.com/) or with a 3rd party EVSE (I'm using a Clipper Creek LCS-25p with my i-MiEV). The car can charge from completely empty to 100% overnight with either of these methods.

With L3 CHAdeMO charging stations proliferating far faster than I would have imagined and public EVSEs overwhelmed by plug-in hybrids, the 2014 i-MiEV with CHAdeMO as standard is an excellent move on Mitsu's part that will be awfully tempting…

On the other hand, the availability of vehicles coming off lease will have an interesting influence on the used i-MiEV market…

I'd definitely go with the i-MiEV again should something happen to mine. The only feature that I want from the '14 is the charge port light. I'm pretty good at hitting the mark now, but sometimes a light would be nice.

I've driven the LEAF, and no doubt it's a nice car, but it's hard to see out of. Teslas, I've ridden in one of each (Roadster and S), but I'm honestly scared to drive one. I don't know if I'll be able to handle myself sitting on that kind of torque. I've sat in a Focus Electric, nice interior, but just never driven one. Can't really comment on it. I've also driven the Volt, but I don't want or need to lug around a 4-banger. For the one trip I make regularly outside of my i-MiEV's range, I use a company car to go to a jobsite (Ford Focus that gets 35 mpg when I'm driving).

As for used market, they're still few and far between on eBay, and usually move decently fast.

better sat nav receiver position.
sometimes takes 30 mins to get a lock or never.
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1807

faster AC charging
6.6kW

will be interesting to see if mitsubishi have now put a hood on the speedo or some felt on the area right in front of the speedo to prevent this sort of reflection.
http://forums.aeva.asn.au/buying-an-imiev-in-australia-different-radios_topic3942_page2.html
scroll to bottom of the page.

also a light in the rear compartment would be handy.
day/night mirror.
auto lights that don't get fooled by overhead bridges
cruise control

I like the rear wheel drive.
Perhaps all the wheels could be the same size.

better plastics
eg. http://www.aeva.asn.au/content/mitsubishi-imiev-sig
seat belt covers get rough due to metal tongue of seatbelt hitting the plastic.

more access to power via a sport mode?
ie. 80kW as in the pikes peak EVO

auto up/down on all windows?

bring back remote keyless entry as in gen 1 imiev.

Don said:
Mitsu needs all our help - It's rumored they won't be selling cars at all in North America come 2015, so anyone wanting an iMiEV better not wait too long!

http://t.money.msn.com/investing/5-companies-you-wont-see-after-2014-1

Don

Kind of thought this would happen. They dropped the Galant, Eclipse and Endeavor and now only have the Lancers, Outlanders and Mirage. Not really a lineup that draws lots of customers. Like the article mentions, they made a fatal mistake many years ago by offering low end purchase offers and leases and the company went from being known to sell good quality cars to junk that nobody wanted but someone hard up to get a car.

Don said:
Mitsu needs all our help
Heh, why do you think we should help them anyway?

Right from the start they don't bother much to successfully sell I-MiEV. They don't communicate with I-drivers. On the forums there is no trace of their presence. So, why should we help them if they do not have their own interest to normal business communications like Tesla? They aren't Caritas and the Red Cross. I don't think MMC deserve or need any help from us.

They made a decent car, we (over)payed for it, and that's it.

Zelenec said:
Heh, why do you think we should help them anyway?
Let natural selection weed them out? I tend to agree that we shouldn't "help" them. It shouldn't be a charity.

But, if we like their product (even if their service might not be the best) and think others might too, that's not "helping" them, it's just liking their product. And having invested in their product (more those who have purchased the vehicle, but also those who have leased) we'd like to see them continue and be supported, lest we lose out on that investment.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mitsubishi is betting big on EV technology by keeping the iMiev in play with a big price drop to keep them in play until the PHEV Outlander can give them a boost in the US market. If they wait too long however, there will be some competition eating into that strategy. (I wonder why they didn't try to get it to the US for 2014 instead of sending it to Europe - maybe it was capacity issues and the desire to work out any problems with the vehicle in those markets before getting it to the US. We'll see if it works out for them).

Back on topic, I would happily trade my 2012 for a 2014 version for the few upgrades, but I think I'd have to pay too much to make that worthwhile. If I could sell my 2012 for $15k and buy a 2014 for the same ... and only pay taxes on the higher pre-incentive $23k, it might be worth the hassle. Since I can take the tax credit, and some people not, this might actually be a possibility. (KBB gave me a trade-in value of $13,500, but I'm a bit skeptical of that, especially if that valuation might not be considering the 2014 price cut on the way.)

I originally was going to buy the Leaf and then when Mitsubishi dropped the price $10,000 I went with the I-MiEV to satisfy my want for a pure electric vehicle. I also own a Volt which I absolutely love but wanted a pure electric too. The Ford Focus EV is nice but doesn't look like an EV. I want something that looks like an electric car and not just like a regular gas car. I like the I-MiEV but now thinking I want something bigger like the Leaf. So... I just put my Mitsubishi up for sale on Craigs List.

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/4254642789.html

"But from next April, battery output should increase to just over 5,000 units a month, and that means about 60,000 units annually for the plug-in. By then, we will have shifted battery production for the i-MiEV to a different plant.

Since the 2014s are expected by late spring, does this indicate a change from the GS Yuasa to the Toshiba SCiB?

Mart said:
The source interview:
http://www.autonews.com/article/20131216/OEM02/312169989/mitsubishi-chief-automakers-growth-starts-now#axzz2ojHnP6T2
Mart, thank you for the links. Quoting from that interview:

Why can't you get enough batteries?

Right now, we want maximum production of the plug-in hybrid, so i-MiEV battery production is being deprioritized. We can make only 30,000 plug-in vehicles this year. But from next April, battery output should increase to just over 5,000 units a month, and that means about 60,000 units annually for the plug-in. By then, we will have shifted battery production for the i-MiEV to a different plant.

As some had suspected, it's the battery that has been limiting Mitsu's production of both the iMiEV and Outlander PEV, and it will be interesting to see if that 'shift' means a different source.

Back OT and regarding Mitsu/Nissan/Renault developing a larger EV in the future, I, for one, am quite happy with the present (and 2014) iMiEV's size and chortle a bit when I squeeze it into spots inaccessible by 'them other cars'.

The Honda Fit EV already uses the Toshiba batteries, but Honda's site says 2014 production is expected to remain at 40 units per month/ 480 yearly. I don't see any attempt to increase production or move the Fit from being a compliance car. Since Mitsubishi announced they would be using the Toshiba SCiBs back in summer of 2011, it would seem to be about time to see them utilized.

On the other hand, Lithium Energy Japan, the JV between Mitsubishi and GS Yuasa, added the Ritto 2 plant production in Spring of 2013. Ritto 1 was supposed to supply 50,000 vehicles annually. Both are online, but operating beneath capacity as sales of electric vehicles were lower than expected. So there seems to be additional capacity in the supply chain for additional GS Yuasa lithium ion batteries, like those currently in use.

The Toshiba cells are supposed to be (among) the most robust available. And they may be higher energy density, too? If Mitsubishi goes in the direction of the CA-MiEV, then we should be good!

There are quite a few pictures of the ca-miev here. Five seats, 28kWh battery, and what looks to be a significantly-lower Cd, although I would take the "186-mile range" with a grain of hypermiling-salts. The concept shown was 7.5" wider and 14.6" longer than (our US?) i-MiEV. Might as well buy a Tesla :p …or, on-topic, a 2014 i-MiEV. :D

Guess what, Mitsubishi IS advertising the 2014 i-MiEV: do a Google search on ca-miev and in their first (paid) link is for a 2014 Mitsu ad! So, what person is going to google "miev" without knowing something about it in the first place? The number of times I've been told "I didn't know Mitsubishi made an electric car!"...

Exactly. There were ads like this for the 2012, too. But, to see them, you had to at least know Mitsubishi had an EV. Not very good advertising.

The CA-MiEV looks cool. It would be good to sell in addition to the i-MiEV for those looking for more of a highway cruiser. Then again, it would probably result in no i-MiEVs getting sold. 110-140 mile range is more like it. Even hypermiling it to the same extent of getting 100 miles out of an i-MiEV would only net 175 miles in the CA.

Back