Product liability Judge of the Year

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jray3

http://insideevs.com/high-profile-objection-to-settlement-on-leaf-battery-case-class-members-are-getting-absolutely-nothing-of-value/

His entire document makes an interesting read...
I just wish that more judges who didn't have a stake in the outcome would put similarly passionate objections to other settlements that enrich only the lawyers while the class gets pennies that aren't worth collecting.

On the other hand, one could argue that Nissan's expanded warranty makes the lawsuit moot. By unilaterally expanding the warranty to cover the battery defects complained of in the lawsuit, Nissan has resolved the complaints. The $5,000 to each of two named plaintiffs is tantamount to nuisance money.

tonymil said:
On the other hand, one could argue that Nissan's expanded warranty makes the lawsuit moot. By unilaterally expanding the warranty to cover the battery defects complained of in the lawsuit, Nissan has resolved the complaints. The $5,000 to each of two named plaintiffs is tantamount to nuisance money.

That's hizhonner's point. The class action lawyers get $1.9MM for doing nothing (shortcomings enumerated by the judge), the two original claimants get pennies, and the class members get... nothing. There is no documentation or legally-defensible claim that the warranty extension was related to the lawsuit. He even calls for the lawyer's disbarment.

Back