Need to purchase obc unit for 2012 i-miev

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenBrown

My dc/dc unit died and I need to find a used unit. Any suggestions of how/where to find one? Our local salvage company says they can't locate one anywhere in the US and our used auto parts place says they won't handle foreign parts.

Hi there,

Have you investigated what has failed inside the charger? Often its possible to repair them. Not always as I know of one that actually burned a hole in a circuit board but often its repairable.

Im in the UK and it looks like failed chargers will beat failed cells in being the part that really kills these cars as you just cant get them.

Cheers,

Ask your dealer about:
Reference; TSB-19-54-016
Vehicles affected; 2012 IMIEV
Dated September 2019
Warranty on OBC is extended to 10 years/unlimited miles

The dealer will require that the correct error code be shown by OBDII, and that the 20 amp fuse be blown. I’m actually having to re-install the failed charger in order to get one of the new design, rather than roll the dice on my current junkyard unit with the original defect waiting to surface...

Following instructions on this forum, I have just installed a 2013 OBC in my 2012 Miev to reduce the chances of having the same failure again. Has been working fine for 3 weeks (2000km). Behaves exactly as it should.

As you mention, I don’t know if the dealer would have replaced my obc because the fuse was not blown. It would not charge on level 2 chargers and most level 1 chargers. Only on the Mitsubishi charger.

From what I found, on board chargers from 2013 to 2016 would fit. You will need to modify the coolant hose between obc and inverter and « transplant » the high voltage connector and the 12v connector.

Under the extended OBC warranty, the dealer has just replaced the charger I had installed myself with a new one, He gave me back my old charger and the hose that I had to custom make. They charged me for the coolant ;-(
In my case, the OBC had already been replaced in 2015. I had new charging problems this summer and they concluded that I had to change the OBC again for cad$5300+taxes. The fuse was NOT blown but the Miev would not charge on level2 and would charge only on some level 1 stations.

Back