i-MiEV Salvage Opportunity

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeS

Staff member
My good friend in New Orleans was involved in a relatively-minor fender-bender (a woman turned left in front of him - her fault) with his low-mileage 2016 i-MiEV that resulted in driver's airbag deployment. He drove it a bit after the crash - it tracked straight and he thinks everything but the seatbelt (and airbag) worked properly. He sent me photos after the crash and the damage really seemed minor to me.

The repair estimate was steep but not enough to total the car, so the insurance company was going to repair it; however, it then turned out that some Mitsu procedure required that the dashboard be replaced after airbag deployment and there were none to be found so the insurance company totaled the thing.

Unfortunately, my friend and I mis-communicated (I was out of touch for a while during my Tesla trip) and he signed the paperwork before he/I had a chance to get a buyback possibility. My friend was not interested in working on it.

This pack must be almost perfect since I had admonished my friend about proper pack care and feeding.

What had happened after the body shop got the car is that they dismantled/removed the front bumper cover and for some reason had pulled off the left headlight and left it dangling. The last my friend saw of it someone had taken off the right rear door striker plate so that door was taped shut.

Anyway, the car is at an auction house. I hope someone here can pick up this rare 2016 i-MiEV -

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=26410810&RowNumber=0&loadRecent=True

Looks like this one is coming up for auction Monday Nov. 20 at 9 am. Is anybody interested-- i would buy a 4- or 8-cell module if it gets parted out.

Very active bidding on this car--somebody really wanted it even though it won't go to READY (airbag deploy will prevent start). i hope it didn't get flooded by the hurricanes and ruin the pack.

Winner #130272 onsite bidder at $3300. Somebody in PA and Reunion FL wanted it too but not that badly.

kiev said:
... even though it won't go to READY (airbag deploy will prevent start)...
Darn, I missed the bidding! :evil: My buddy drove this car for quite a few days AFTER the accident. No airbag and the seat belt wouldn't work; other than that it drove nicely (and straight). I think somebody got a good deal and it should take little to get it back on the road... now, the bureaucracy for dealing with a salvaged vehicle - that is something else...

JoeS said:
kiev said:
... even though it won't go to READY (airbag deploy will prevent start)...
Darn, I missed the bidding! :evil: My buddy drove this car for quite a few days AFTER the accident. No airbag and the seat belt wouldn't work; other than that it drove nicely (and straight). I think somebody got a good deal and it should take little to get it back on the road... now, the bureaucracy for dealing with a salvaged vehicle - that is something else...

This post about a fixable i-MiEv getting stupidly totaled is exactly why I decided to attempt repair myself after a relatively minor front end collision that deployed the driver side airbag and (peculiarly) also deployed the front passenger seatbelt pretensioner (although I had no passenger, nor any significant weight on the seat.) I drove the car home 20 miles and it was fine on the road.
So far, I have a obtained a replacement airbag, and repaired the external bumper with fiberglass. The steel internal bumper is another matter, and I may have to be creative as far as some kind of replacement, unless I can find one. The SRS module and other seatbelt are out for resetting and fixing respectively (at myairbags.com). (I have listed elsewhere here the various Mitsubishi models sharing the same airbag on the drivers side.) So hopefully the airbag light will go off when all this is said and done and it will pass inspection. (Hopefully also, the airbag will work again if needed. I think airbags are one of the better safety ideas.)
I'm not sure how all this will affect the annual warranty checkup, but we'll see.

I have a wrecked one for sale
Ill take 2000 for it
here is a link to the photos
it runs and drives
but....

https://daytonahybrids.com/2012-mitsubishi-miev/

oh and its located in scottsburg indiana

Back