Wanted: Single LEV50 cell, or full 8/4 cell module

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonRedbeard

Hi all,

I run a fleet of i-MiEV's for Edinburgh College in Scotland.

A recent new arrival has a faulty cell which I hope to replace. The vehicle is a 2011 i-MiEV with just 12k miles.

Cell 69 appears to have shorted and is at 2.1v compared to the rest of the pack. The car will not go into 'ready' and will not charge.

We have suitably trained techs ready to drop the pack and replace the cell, but we need the parts before we can continue.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,
Bob Murphy

VonRedbeard said:
Hi all,

I run a fleet of i-MiEV's for Edinburgh College in Scotland.

A recent new arrival has a faulty cell which I hope to replace. The vehicle is a 2011 i-MiEV with just 12k miles.

Cell 69 appears to have shorted and is at 2.1v compared to the rest of the pack. The car will not go into 'ready' and will not charge.

We have suitably trained techs ready to drop the pack and replace the cell, but we need the parts before we can continue.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,
Bob Murphy

Is it still under warranty? Probably since Mitsubishi extended the battery warrant to ten years. Its a topic here somewhere.

How many i-Mievs? Got a pic or two?

We run three i-MiEVs just now, but have operated more since 2011. They're great staff pool cars for zapping around the city between campuses. We also have LEAFs and eNV200's, plus an Allied Electric BEV minibus conversion.

European i-MiEV warranty is only 5 years as far as I'm aware. Owner's handbook for this car seems to back that up. Will email them to ask the question though - nothing to lose!

Here is one of the cars in front of a famous landmark...

j272736_g25.jpg

And another showing some of the rest of our electric fleet...

electricvehicles.jpg

I think you are right about a 5y battery warranty in the UK. However, since you are essentially a running advert for Mitsubishi Electric, and the fact that Mitsubishi could, if they wanted, honor a battery failure past the warranty period if they wanted, perhaps it would be good to write them a letter. May also be good to visit a dealership and butter them up before you do that too.

I assume the car has full Mitsu dealer service history... otherwise you stand less of a good chance.

I run two of them, and would also be interested in a few spare cells, but... not an entire pack - so where I unfortunately cant help, it may be useful to start a thread for a UK buying group to split a pack when one comes up again.

There was one on ebay for £3000, which makes it about £35 a cell... plus all the messing around.

Also... I note that the Outlander PHEV uses LEV40 cells, not LEV50s, which (unless you could retro), does not bode well for Imiev pack rebuilds... as I was going to suggest looking for a breakers PHEV pack.

Found this post, maybe it will work for you.

8 x LEV40aH cells. 28.5v,1.14kwh, 12kg per module
Removed on april 29th
car had covered 11000miles.
8 x 40Ah cells per module.
Modules include the OEM BMS.

£280 ono per module

Parts are located in Redditch,UK. Collection preferred.

Contact by PM or call/ text 077 3 22 44 eight 53

Ryan

Thanks kiev

To the best of my knowledge LEV40's won't work with the i-MiEV, but I have been able to restart my account on that forum and post an add. WIll also be visiting a broken pair of cars in Aberdeenshire next weekend with the hope of sourcing parts from one of those, so fingers crossed!

The price for that 8-pack is so reasonable, that in a pinch, 2 cells could be wired in parallel and inserted as a single series-cell in the 88-cell Pack. There appears to be space available in the central section near the 4-packs, unless your car only has 80-cells, then there is a huge space open. That is what i would do if no LEV50's could be found.

hello, if you are interesting in a lev-50 cell, we recently found in deuchland a person with has the entire battery pack of a citroen c-zero car, and in a group, we buy 12 cells, the total amount was aprox 420 euros including the package send to spain.
if you need the name, please send me a PM.
finaly the PSA group changed the battery pack of the peugeot ion with no warranty at 0 cost.
it pretend to sell the full battery pack at almost 22.000 Euros, but afther a few letters to PSA, they changed it with no charge!, so the cells that we have are still in the garage. we hope that never want to replace :?
Thanks.

Back