WANTED: J1772 inlet

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1pk

I am in need of a J1772 inlet port, I damaged mine.

I know a few have come up for sale on this site. If no one has one here, can anyone point in to a supplier that sells them? I am afraid of what my dealer will charge.

thanks

Pete

You could try Aliexpress, they have a bunch, with or without cables.

http://nl.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=j1772+inlet&catId=&initiative_id=SB_20151209114246

Thanks everyone. Sandage I have a 2012 es. I seem to remember you had the part for sale once. Do you still have it?

JoeS, i did the old roll down the driveway trick. I'll elaborate later.

Databeestje, I'll have a look there, thank you.

Pete

I had a similar experience. Mine is a 2014 ES. It cost me a small fortune, (1,000 installed ), they only sell it complete with wiring I asked for the old part back .
My dust cover broke off, but the receiver socket is intact. How badly broken is yours, does it still work? Maybe you can post a picture.

If only the the dust cover was broken, I'd not worry (unless somewhere that they salt the roads a lot). I do nearly all of my hookups in the rain these days, and never a ground fault issue. Also, one could place a block of neoprene foam on the door so that it gets compressed when the door is closed and replaces the dust cover.
IIRC, the 1st gen Volt did that...
My conversion has the J1772 inlet pointed skyward, so I drilled weep holes thru the housing just in case it got filled with water.

I WISH THAT THE I-MIEV WOULD LOCK IN PARK WHEN IT WAS PLUGGED IN!

I think it's the biggest flaw of the car.

I was heading to work, it was 6:30 am, put my bike on the rack, put my lunch and raincoat in the back seat, got in, started the car and reversed out of the driveway. I have a Bosch L2 with a ridiculously short cable (12') so it's pretty tight when I'm plugged in. The port being on the other side of the car, it's not staring me in the face. As soon as the car moved I heard the cracking sound of the connector breaking. I thought after the first time I did this last year I would never do it again, but here I am. Obviously it didn't start, but for some reason I didn't clue in. The lack of slack in my cable resulted in zero opportunity for my tired brain to prevent the disaster.

The pistol grip snapped at the collar that surrounds the pin, the locking latch snapped off, as did the collar on the inlet port. All the pins in the inlet bent. I was left with a useless charger and a useless charging port. Worst possible outcome.

I've managed to bend the pins back, and have tried to glue the inlet port together. Neither types of glue have worked but when I finally get it glued it should work fine. It is workable now but when I unplug it the collar comes off and I swear a little.

I had to poach the cable from my L1 brick and install it in the L2 box. At least I have a longer cable and can now back in so I see the charge port when I approach my car.

I no longer have a working l1 charger, and often need to charge at work to complete my day. My commute is 80 km return, mostly at 90-100 kph and if I often have kids sports or errands after work.

My biggest expense with this car is going to be repairing parts of the charging system. Last time was $160 for a new pistol grip and 25' cable, this time It will be a new cable for my L1 and a new inlet. I will purchase a replacement inlet as I want to have one waiting for when this happens again.

I figure I've started this car at least 2000 times, and only twice I've forgot to unplug, but It's probably going to happen again.

At least the dust cap didn't break!

Aliexpress has some ports with cables but I'm not sure I can deal with the connectors as the imiev harness has special ones.

Does anyone know if the charge port can be replaced without removing the pins?

Sandage, $1000, ouch! that's worse than I imagined. Are you planning to keep your spare inlet or would you consider selling it?

Thanks everyone

That's the result of the design. The i-MiEV has a 100% mechanical park interlock system. The i-MiEV can be taken out of park even without the 12 volt battery hooked up. Other EVs have at least an electronic shifter, so the park pawl is electrically controlled, where ours is operated by a cable attached to the shifter.

I guess the engineers decided that it was better to have the ability to at least roll the car in the case of computer failure, sort of the same reason keyless cars still have a metal key to unlock the door.

1pk said:
I figure I've started this car at least 2000 times, and only twice I've forgot to unplug, but It's probably going to happen again.
Affix a short piece of 2 X 4 to your driveway so that you drive over it to park and then you'd have to back over it to leave. Either drill a couple holes in the concrete (or asphalt) and screw it down with a couple concrete screws, or epoxy it in place. This way, there's no rolling backwards without the car running . . . . which it won't do if you forget to unplug it

Don

Less rigid, more flexy, use a curly charge cord. I have on in my driveway, even if it rolls off the driveway it wouldn't tear the evse off the wall. And I'd see it too (being bright green cord)

It didn't tear his EVSE off the wall - That would have been cheap to fix. It tore up his J-1772 inlet connector

Unless the wire breaks, a 2500 pound car rolling downhill is going to tear something up when it gets to the end of even a 'curly cord'

Don

CHECK ALL 4 TIRES BEFORE YOU DRIVE THE CAR ALL THE TIME.

This will make sure that you look at the car on the Left side.
I do this as a habit from my truck.

That way, you will see that you are plugged in.

I plug in at work, check the tires every time I get in the car so I also won't forget to unplug :)

Back