looking for used level 2 evse

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky49

anyone got in this group got a used level 2 evse for sale? Referrals to another site ok as well. We are looking for one for our new to us I-miev. Seller must be willing to ship to Canada by mail.

Rocky

Rocky49 said:
anyone got in this group got a used level 2 evse for sale? Referrals to another site ok as well. We are looking for one for our new to us I-miev. Seller must be willing to ship to Canada by mail.

Rocky
Hi Rocky,

I know this is not quite what you asked for but, have you considered a new unit from an open source shop? You can get a new level 2 charging station for less than $500 from http://emotorwerks.com/products/onl...-open-source-level-2-15kw-ev-charging-station.

A new unit has the advantage of after sale support and a warranty. Also, as technology advances, prices come down and we are starting to see this in charging stations. Add to that the fact that you get 30% tax rebate for the purchase of an EV charging station.

It may be difficult to find someone who has a level 2 charger that has decided to chuck it all and go back to an oil burner.

An advantage of these units is that you have the option of getting them with a clothes dryer outlet adapter. The electronics package is small and with the optional adapter you can take it with you and plug in at your destination.

There are other companies that sell level 2 station kits for even less if you know how to solder..

If you want to keep the expense to a minimum, you could build one of your own from any of the open source projects out there. I built my first Level 2 unit using the Open EVSE instructions found at http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/ Cost was about $350 for the parts

Or . . . . you can send in your OEM Level 1 unit that came with your car and have it upgraded. When you get it back, it will be a 120/240 L1/L2 unit with adjustable charge current settings. Details are at www.evseupgrade.com

I had the upgrade done about 18 months ago. Probably the best $300 I've spent on the car - I use it nearly every day

Don

There is also these guys....

https://suncountryhighway.ca/products-page/level-ii-evchargers/

They sell clipper creek chargers but the l2 is a little flaky with the remote. I have an lcs25 that I put a dryer plug on and I like it.

I don't know if there is a l2 that is bullet proof as far as the remote operations goes but it's something to consider.

Don.....

When I posted looking for a used charger, I was too late to get one from Sarah in Medford who moved from a house to a place where she no longer needed a home charger. I live in a part of Canada in BIG OIL COUNTRY. There absolutely no incentives here for energy efficiency. They want you to use as much as possible. That is why I did not object to buying a used I-miev with only 77 miles. Someone else had already stripped the credits and rebates from the car and I got an essentially new car for less. When I showed up at the local Mitsu dealership who can't be bothered selling the I-miev the sales manager said we can't sell them so we won't stock them. He is of course correct when the car was overpriced, there were no rebates, no advertising, and nothing to test drive. You can't sell new technology when you make no effort.

As for the evse kit, I am pretty sure I can build one from a kit, but the question I have is how will my insurance company respond with a DIY box, even if it is professionally installed. I would love to have my cord upgraded but given the ship to USA and ship from USA status, I figure I might as well buy a second evse and save the OEM plug for travelling. UPS brokerage fee kill stuff coming to Canada. |I can probably get a new level 2 evse from home depot Canada for about $900 Canadian. However I am pretty good at finding deals on recycled stuff I know I just have to look and to ask. Sarah's level 2 was $300 and I was ready to jump on the deal but it was gone!!!

Rocky

Back