Anyone want to buy a brand new TED 5000 energy monitor set?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olagon

Anyone want to buy a brand new TED 5000 energy monitor set with useful adds ons at a reduced cost? With the additional MTU you can also track the breaker you use to charge you iMiev or a PV installation. We only have a few leftover sets (we installed 400 of them in a project in Hawaii). Going to list on eBay next week. Let me know if you want to pick one up. Email me at olin ---@@@@---- kanuhawaii DOT org. Funds to go back to our nonprofit.

Price: $125 plus actual shipping. We paid $337.90 plus shipping for these brand new units.

TED 5000C (retail $239.95)
Our best selling TED 5000-C electricity monitor allows you to view real-time electricity usage on both your computer and a handheld wireless display. Now you can perform your own household energy audits. The TED 5000-C package includes one set of clamps with a measuring unit (MTU/CT set) for the breaker panel installation, one Gateway embedded with software, and one sleek display - See more at: http://www.theenergydetective.com/ted5000store.html

An additional MTU set (retail $84.95)
Measuring Transmitting Unit (MTU) with two Current Transformers (CTs) for use with a breaker panel or subpanel, to measure individual breakers, or if you've added a wind or solar installation. Package includes cord to connect the MTU into the breaker panel. You MUST have a Gateway in order to receive measurements from the MTU/CT set.

One Plug in Noise Filter (retail $13.00)
Plug-in wired noise filters are used to eliminate an appliance that interferes with TED's communication. The noisy device is plugged into the filter to eliminate line noise.

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/o92TY (note the pic has two additional MTUs...only going to include one additional MTU set). There is already a MTU set in the TED 5000-C set.

Edit: Took out the pic. Was too large for this post! See the link above for the images.

Just sold one. Got at least 10 sets more. Note, you'll need a handyman to install this if you haven't done any panel wiring!

I have used a TED 1000 since 2007 in our Honolulu apartment, but it is inaccurate. About 3 years ago, I learned that a TED 1000 is inaccurate measuring 208 v. loads (e.g., water heaters, air conditioners, ranges). Many Honolulu apartment complexes have 120Y/208 service. I would be interested in buying one of your TED 5000 energy monitors, but only if it accurately measures 208 v. loads which doesn't seem to be true according to the TED Website. Is that your understanding?

alohart said:
I have used a TED 1000 since 2007 in our Honolulu apartment, but it is inaccurate. About 3 years ago, I learned that a TED 1000 is inaccurate measuring 208 v. loads (e.g., water heaters, air conditioners, ranges). Many Honolulu apartment complexes have 120Y/208 service. I would be interested in buying one of your TED 5000 energy monitors, but only if it accurately measures 208 v. loads which doesn't seem to be true according to the TED Website. Is that your understanding?

Aloha Art, you are correct in that the TED 1000 was not precisely accurate. Our nonprofit installed about 400 TED 5000s instead of TED 1000s or other models because it was the most accurate and offered the best feature set value. While we didn't test the TED 5000 scientifically, we did use multimeters to verify that the TED displays were accurate enough for our energy study. Since TEDs also read home voltage, it's MUCH more accurate than other energy monitors we tested that didn't read voltage but rather used user input.

From the TED Website: I am concerned about the accuracy of my electricity bill each month. How accurate is TED? TED is calibrated at the factory to be accurate to within 2%, however, you will find that it is generally closer to 1%.

The inaccuracy I was referring to was when measuring 208 v. loads in a 208Y/120 v. system, not the accuracy measuring 240/120 v. loads. I would be interested in buying one of your TED 5000 energy monitors, but only if it is capable of accurately measuring 208 v. loads. The TED Website seems to indicate that its 5000 energy monitor cannot accurately measure 208 v. loads. Did you install any of you TED 5000 energy monitors on 208Y/120 v. systems? If so, did they accurately measure 208 v. loads?

alohart said:
The inaccuracy I was referring to was when measuring 208 v. loads in a 208Y/120 v. system, not the accuracy measuring 240/120 v. loads. I would be interested in buying one of your TED 5000 energy monitors, but only if it is capable of accurately measuring 208 v. loads. The TED Website seems to indicate that its 5000 energy monitor cannot accurately measure 208 v. loads. Did you install any of you TED 5000 energy monitors on 208Y/120 v. systems? If so, did they accurately measure 208 v. loads?

Ahh gotcha. As far as I know, we have not tested accuracy with three phase systems. But my guess is that unless you hear a report from TED that your system is supported, I'd steer clear. I'm assuming you are not interested in using this type of system in Hawaii.

alohart said:

Ahh gotcha. As far as I know, we have not tested accuracy with three phase systems. But my guess is that unless you hear a report from TED that your system is supported, I'd steer clear. I'm assuming you are not interested in using this type of system in Hawaii.

olagon said:
I'm assuming you are not interested in using this type of system in Hawaii.
No, I'd be using it in our Hawaii Kai apartment which has 208Y/120 v. power as did our former Kakaʻako apartment. Apparently, 208Y/120 v. power (2 phases of 3-phase 277 v. service) is not unusual for larger Honolulu apartment complexes. A side effect of this is that not having 240 v. power will also increase the charging time for my i-MiEV.

alohart said:
olagon said:
I'm assuming you are not interested in using this type of system in Hawaii.
No, I'd be using it in our Hawaii Kai apartment which has 208Y/120 v. power as did our former Kakaʻako apartment. Apparently, 208Y/120 v. power (2 phases of 3-phase 277 v. service) is not unusual for larger Honolulu apartment complexes. A side effect of this is that not having 240 v. power will also increase the charging time for my i-MiEV.

Thanks! Didn't know about 208Y/120 in Hawaii.

Wow that went quick. All of the sets were scooped up! Thanks all for saving us a trip to eBay to list the extra TEDs.

Oh man! I just missed this. I read the OP this morning and immediately went to the TED website to learn more about the system without finishing reading the rest of the thread. Could have saved myself 20 minutes by reading they were all sold out. Oh well.

Hey Olin! I have the TED5000 installed and really am enjoying seeing how all my different appliances and devices affect my energy usage. I have a question for you. I installed one of the MTUs on the main lines to track my overall energy usage. It is working perfectly fine. However, I am having trouble with the second MTU that I am trying to use to track the energy usage for my L2 240V EVSE. I can't get any sort of reading from the second MTU in the TED Footprints software. It cannot detect the second MTU.

I'm sure I probably have the second MTU installed incorrectly and am hoping you or someone else might be able to steer me in the right direction. Currently, I have the second MTU installed as such:

1. The black wire is going to the circuit breaker that is the same one that powers the outlet my Gateway is plugged into.
2. The white wire is connected to the neutral bus.
3. The red wire is capped and unused.
4. One of the CTs is clamped around both of the legs that are coming out of the 240V breaker that is feeding my EVSE.
5. The second CT is unused and is laying on the bottom of the panel.
6. The red polarity dot on the CT that is around the two legs of the 240V circuit is facing toward the circuit breaker. The instructions say the polarity dot should face the source of power. So, since the panel is feeding the power TO the EVSE, I assume IT is the source of power, and the polarity dot should face the panel.

Obviously, I MUST have something wrong as this second MTU is not working. I'm sure there are some of you on this board that use the TED 5000 (or similar) to track their EVSE usage specifically in addition to your overall electric usage. Could you please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Should I have one CT on each of the legs coming out of the 240V circuit? Should I be using the red wire for something? Somebody on the TED5000 support forums said I should be using TWO MTUs just for the 240V circuit. That can't be right, can it?

Also, which 3rd-party app does anyone recommend to use with TED? I am currently trying out the People Power app on my iPod Touch and iPad. Are any of the other apps better?

I also bought a TED5000 from the OP and am very happy with it. The first time I added an additional MTU I couldn't get it to go either. A little troubleshooting and away it went. First, look at the "stats" page on the control panel. See if the additional(s) MTU is registered. Then check the data transfer to see if the gateway is receiving data from the MTU. Mine was working but the data counts were very low compared to the original MTU. Turned out I had "noise" on the line from a power supply to a electric piano. Unplugging it solved the problem. Also, talking to tech support I found the following: 1. The polarity of the CT's isn't important as long as both "dots" face the same direction. 2. If you want, you can use the red wire to get a little more accuracy on a 240 volt circuit---just be sure the black wire is on the same leg as the gateway. 3. The additional MTU (if it is a breaker on the same panel as the first MTU) should be set up as "stand alone" otherwise you will get improper readings. Hope this helps. BTW--e-mail to tech support was answered quickly, phone call also worked but I prefered the e-mail approach.

Thanks for your reply! Actually I decided to go down in my basement and try something. I pulled the cover off my panel. I took both CTs from the second MTU and clamped one over each leg on the 240V double breaker. I faced both red polarity dots away from the panel towards the EVSE charger. The TED Footprints software is reading the second MTU now. I am very happy!

Back