Wanted: info or leads on used or salvage

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PV1

Staff member
I was wondering if anyone knew of any used or salvage i-MiEVs in the eastern US. My friend and I were looking to get an EV for him. We struck out on a Tesla, so I'm looking for MiEVs while he looks for LEAFs. Any help would be appreciated.

If I was going to do a cheap I-MiEV I would look for a wreck and a flood car. You could marry the two together and end up south of 10K for a perfectly good car. There won't be much to salvage from the flood car but if you flush the body structure and neutralize the salt residue you will end up with a great platform to put the parts from the wreck on. I bought a pretty bad wreck an if it was my intention to rebuild it the shell from a flood car would have completed the project without ever going to the dealer. Put an ad on Craig's list looking for a flood car---people that bought them should be throwing in the towel by now. The I is pretty easy to take apart and put back together--when you get done with the wrecked shell just cut it in two and toss it in a dumpster.

I saw the wrecked one you bought on one of the sites. It also has three flooded plus the one Ben Nelson bought out of North Carolina. It seems to be out of date. One of the flooded is a blue/white SE with a dented front bumper. My sign of hope is the odometer still lights up, so it didn't hit the 12 volt battery, but that's no guarantee the main battery isn't flooded.

The wreck I bought was hit in the rear so if you need any front end plastic or sheetmetal I have it all. The car is intact from the front doors forward. I am going to take all the parts off of it and then cut up the body so if anyone needs any front end structure speak now or forever hold your peace.

Any hopes of straightening out the back end and make it drivable? My sister made the joke of chopping the top behind the front seats and make a little pickup truck out of it. Just need from the cargo floor down. Drawing attached.

I just may do it. :roll: :cool:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kz50atqig26fiu8/Pickup-MiEV.JPG

No, it will never drive again----what wasn't wrecked, the sawzall got. I have removed everything from the front cowl back and am cutting that off just as a way to store the front end parts. The entire interior from dashboard to back seat is gone. Motor, inverter, charger, wiring harnesses, battery pack, doors, wheels and tires (well 3 at least) are on shelves in the shop. My "SE" now has the premium package that was on the wreck.

Do you have most of the electronics that would allow the drivetrain be put in another car then? My friend is converting a Honda CRX and is looking for a decent setup. If you do, what would you want for it?

Hey Guys,

I have that complete "water damaged" purple iMIEV. The batteries are shot, but the body is in perfect condition.

It would be an excellent vehicle to combine with a wreck to make one good working EV.

I'd be interested in either buying a wrecked vehicle or selling mine to somebody with a wreck for use as a rebuild and getting it back on the road.

Ben, do you know what shape the motor, controller, and charger are in? Have you opened any of them to check for damage?

Also, is there any UPC or similar on the battery cells?

I have no reason to think that the motor, controller, and charger aren't just fine. Those are really outside the vehicle, so they are pretty well sealed up against the weather.

That said, without a working battery pack, there's not much of a way to test them. A friend of mine does some work with AC drives and said that we might be able to jack up the car, connect and industrial drive to my 240V AC wall power and test it out that way.

Depends on how high the water got up to determine if the motor, charger and/or inverter got damaged. All three have vents on them. The motor has a vent hose running up to the back of the inverter. The inverter and the charger have small round black vent plugs in the side of each unit about 3/4 of the way up the housing. The only thing that doesn't have obvious vent is the transaxle unit.

PV1 said:
Any hopes of straightening out the back end and make it drivable? My sister made the joke of chopping the top behind the front seats and make a little pickup truck out of it. Just need from the cargo floor down. Drawing attached.
I just may do it. :roll: :cool:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kz50atqig26fiu8/Pickup-MiEV.JPG

If so, you'd be creating a companion for O'Sparky of the Seattle EV Assoc. It's a '72 Honda N600 trucklet
http://www.evalbum.com/popupimg.php?6383

From car-part.com

Wheel
Mitsubishi i MiEV 15' 3 SPOKE ALLOY DD1379 $Call Brims Import Auto USA-OH(Kenton) Request_Quote 1-800-221-3874 Request_Insurance_Quote

There's a few on there I saw and I do appreciate it, I'm actually looking to collect 4x fronts so was hoping forum may have a lead on 2x pairs for less than the 400+ at junk yard plus it's probably 1x here 1x there

Looking to put 4x 15x4's w/ 145/65r15s on a 00 insight

baadg04t said:
...Looking to put 4x 15x4's w/ 145/65r15s on a 00 insight
Cool! Let us know how they turn out. Sadly, the reverse didn't fit (I had two Gen1 Insights but am now 'pure' BEV), but the ultralight Honda spacesaver spare does fit the i-MiEV, with some issues...

MitsiHondaSpares.jpg

Is it caliper interference issues with the 14''s?
They are 4x100 56.1 hub on the front correct?
I saw some post that rear rims have different hub?

Weight wise I'm in the dark couldn't find any info on the i-MiEV
I know my stocks are just over 11 lbs any idea on The 15x4's?

baadg04t said:
Is it caliper interference issues with the 14''s?
They are 4x100 56.1 hub on the front correct?
I saw some post that rear rims have different hub?
Weight wise I'm in the dark couldn't find any info on the i-MiEV
I know my stocks are just over 11 lbs any idea on The 15x4's?
Yes, IIRC the front calipers of the i-MiEV interfered with the Honda Insight wheels.

Dunno about the front wheel dimensions you gave.

On the i-MiEV, the hub diameter of the front wheels is larger than the rear, to prevent putting the rear wheels on the front. It's just an oversized insert stuck onto the hub.

Dunno what the i-MiEV rim and wheel weights are.

Back