I am selling mine 2 months old iMiev original charger

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camiev

I am selling mine 2 months old iMiev original charger with bag for $499, if interested let me know.
I just installed the level 2 at home.
Don't need the level one any more.

Might you not want to keep the L1 ..... for the times when you're at a friend's house or a plug outside the hardwarestore that they don't mind you using?
Or just for the times when you're not in any hurry to charge... because the slow charge is supposed to be better for long term battery life?
Thing is, if you intend to keep your car for the long run, even a slight increase in long term battery life is probably worth a lot more than the $500 you might get for the charger.

Just a thought.

Alex

I thought only quick charge (30 min for 80%) will hurt the battery.
L1 or L2 will not effect the battery.

Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks

acensor said:
Might you not want to keep the L1 ..... for the times when you're at a friend's house or a plug outside the hardwarestore that they don't mind you using?
Or just for the times when you're not in any hurry to charge... because the slow charge is supposed to be better for long term battery life?
Thing is, if you intend to keep your car for the long run, even a slight increase in long term battery life is probably worth a lot more than the $500 you might get for the charger.

Just a thought.

Alex

camiev said:
I am selling mine 2 months old iMiev original charger with bag for $499, if interested let me know.
You certainly do need the Level 1. This is a car, which means it goes places, and life being what it is, it might wind up needing to be somewhere that you hadn't planned. I installed my Level 2 EVSE as soon as I took delivery of the car, so my Level 1 EVSE has only been used once, to make sure it worked. It now sits in its storage bag in my trunk, ready for emergency use, which is the whole idea. Having the ability to tap into the grid to draw enough power to get back home is a necessity, not a luxury. Whatever are you thinking?

That said, no, I wouldn't worry about charging exclusively at L2. I've followed the L1/L2 "battery wear" discussions elsewhere in this forum, and as far as I can tell the conclusion is that our dinky 3kW chargers don't do anything to our batteries that they'd notice - these are built to take a Level 3 slam after all. L1 will cost you, too (though I don't imagine so much that you'd actually notice) - it's a bit less efficient, putting less energy into the batteries vs. energy pulled from the grid (and through your meter) than L2.

camiev said:
I would never be comfortable owning just one EVSE - It's one thing that could put your car completely out of business - If something happens to your only one, you can't charge the car. When I first bought the car, I began an immediate search for a second EVSE. Now that I have an L2 unit permanently mounted in my garage, I still use the OEM unit 95% of the time . . . . but if either one fails, I'm still in business

Don

I live about 2 miles from Qualcomm and Genprobe. They have free chargers in their parking. I can always go there. So I am not too worry about that.

Don said:
camiev said:
I would never be comfortable owning just one EVSE - It's one thing that could put your car completely out of business - If something happens to your only one, you can't charge the car. When I first bought the car, I began an immediate search for a second EVSE. Now that I have an L2 unit permanently mounted in my garage, I still use the OEM unit 95% of the time . . . . but if either one fails, I'm still in business

Don

I come from placing an order for a CHAdeMO at Santa. When I am lucky I might get rid of charging at home. Without a garage or even an own parking lot it is messy.

But I cannot imagine getting rid of my original Panasonic 16A or the Voltec 10A and two sets of adapter and extension cables.

I am a strong believer in 80% charging with CHAdeMO is more healthy than regular charging until the orange lamp turns dark. It is more knowledge than belief actually.

If every gas station would run a CHAdeMO I might think about living with a single EVSE but I cannot imagine that to happen in the near future. In the life time of our i-MiEV maybe.

I have seen this wonderful electric vehicle from 1904 during the Sinsheim EV meeting. It is still running.

Gimp6067.jpg

Imagine our i-MiEV in 2113. It will have got new batteries for sure and a range of some 2000 kilometers most likely but it will turn the heads of other people on the highway same as it does today. I cannot imagine how to charge a 250 AH battery not at home for sure not with our today mains but from our own solar plant on the roof maybe. Ok I might give my EVSE to a museum that day :lol:

peterdambier said:
I am a strong believer in 80% charging with CHAdeMO is more healthy than regular charging until the orange lamp turns dark. It is more knowledge than belief actually.
You must have a different battery pack than we got in the North American cars then, Peter. I know they offered an option of a smaller pack consisting of the newer SCiB cells specifically designed for quick charging in the JDM market, but so far, no North American cars have been delivered with that battery type

Here, we have a note on page 1-33 of the owners manual which tells us that regular quick charging is not good for the pack - "Repeatedly performing only quick charging (if so equipped) can reduce the battery capacity. Regular charging is recommended unless quick charging is necessary"

If you're going to convert your car to quick charging, you'll also need to add the components and controls which automatically duct the air conditioning thru the battery pack as needed while charging. All factory quick charge equipped cars came with this . . . . none of the cars that came without quick charging came with it though

Don

peterdambier said:
If every gas station would run a CHAdeMO I might think about living with a single EVSE but I cannot imagine that to happen in the near future.

Well everyone's situation is different. If you do a lot of driving outside the EV's useful range I can understand your hesitation about living with just and EV, but it appears to me that at least some people who say they could not live with just an EV because of the practical limitations on range (even with CHAdeMO charger's plentiful) are not thinking through their situation fully:

In the case is the case of many of the hesitant persons I've spoken to their concern is for the 3 or 10 drives they MIGHT do each year outside the, say, approximately 100kilometer useful radius of an MiEV or a Leaf.
What they don't seem to realize is that they could rent brand new cars for all those few longer trips and still come out economically way ahead.
Or as one of our members here does: When he wants to go on a longer trip he trades cars temporarily with his neighbor's ICE. The neighbor is quite happy to have the EV to drive around town for four days, or whatever.

acensor said:
peterdambier said:
it appears to me that at least some people who say they could not live with just an EV because of the practical limitations on range (even with CHAdeMO charger's plentiful) are not thinking through their situation fully:
Continuing SWOT, I was talking with an elementary school teacher last night who finally traded her full size SUV in on a Prius last year and absolutely loves it, swearing that she will never buy another unelectrified car. When I asked if she thought about an EV last year when buying the Prius, it was 'gosh, they don't go very far, do they?". Turns out that she drives under 10k miles per year, and even the grandparents are within EV range, but things are great with the Prius, so it'll be years before they need another car.... :roll:

It is ok to use DC every day according to Mitsu.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1067070_dc-quick-charging-mitsubishi-says-you-can-do-it-every-day

camiev said:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1067070_dc-quick-charging-mitsubishi-says-you-can-do-it-every-day

In that report at the link it reads --
" 'We expect a daily quick charge not to have a significant toll on battery life,' said Bryan Arnett, manager of EV product strategy for Mitsubishi Motors North America."

I would I guess take some comfort from that if I was doing quick charging.
But not too much: Bryan's idea of "significant" and the EV owner's idea of "significant toll" may be very different ... particularly since it won't be Bryan, but the owner who somewhere down the line could be paying over $10,000 for replacement batteries. ;)

Alex

camiev said:

Rubbish. That might be true of the SCiBs offered in JDM, but certainly not the GS Yuasa batteries that are our only choice in the U.S. "significant toll" is one hell of a wiggle word, and not one that should provide any reassurance whatever. You aren't going to be able to quote that for any benefit when you get to "hey, my battery capacity's down 25%" time, believe me. And I'd note that quote's back from 2011, when Mitsubishi was spinning many a tallish tale about many aspects of the i-MiEV - later comments have been considerably more subdued, especially in the wake of Nissan's Phoenix Fiasco.

Sounds like somebody forgot to read all those battery life disclosure documents they signed . . . but hey, compared to driving around without a Level 1 EVSE in the trunk, I guess daily QC'ing is downright sober and responsible :lol:

Mitsu doesn't recomend to carry the charge around.
If they want you to carry the charger around, they would have design a place for you to put in it like the Rav4 ev and others. :p

Let me know where you put the L1 charger. There is no case in the car. You can put in bag and put in the back, but it will get bang around. Not good for the charger and take up much needed room in the Miev.

When I drive around town, I don't have a fancy iphone or android phone. I have an old black berry... If I have one bar left, I use gps to look for Starbuck or McDonald. They are everywhere. I will go there use their wifi to look for the nearest L2 charging. L1 does me no good. I can't spend the whole day waiting. With L2, I get about 12mi/hr. That should enough to get me going. Nissan dealers also have charger that I can use. Many Leaf owners supprise to see Miev. They don't know that it is exist. That shows you how effective Mitsu marketing is to their target buyers.

It is much different here in the wilderness. Nowhere to charge but caravan parks or public power sockets. No EVSE, no cable.

You might find a charger column but they dont work without somebodies very exclusive RFID card and you have to bring your own cable. The cable with a Mennekes plug at one end is more expensive than a Voltec EVSE in the first place and many if not most charger columns do accept Schuko plugs

I have actually seen a black i-MiEV from Austria with builtin EVSE (16A). Well, the EVSE should isolate your car from the mains and connect only after testing both car and mains for faults. So an EVSE in your trunk may be not so good an idea but a builtin EVSE I think is useless. That is why I experiment with a NoEVSE, simulating an EVSE towards the i-MiEV telling her how much to charge.

So far I have tried a MAX232 driver (RS-232) fed with a 1kHz square wave from my Arduino but either +/- 9V swing was not enough or 7k ohms impedance of the driver was too high for the 1k ohms circuit on the J1772. I have seen the circuit from OpenEVSE it is a bit more elaborate than mine but that is a perfect EVSE in the first place.

So here is my trunk. It is actually a case full of cables so I can extend to about 10 meters.

Gimp-8002.jpg

Cheers
Peter and Karin

I suspect that most of us here in North America who carry around the OEM EVSE have had it upgraded to L1/L2 @ 13 amps - We all have a twist-lock plug on the EVSE which can adapt to plug into just about any sort of socket . . . . 120, 208, 240 . . . . it does them all. While you look online for a place where you can L2 charge, they can charge most anywhere they find a 240 outlet

If I didn't already have one, I would snatch up your OEM unit and get it modified - It's the best value rugged, portable charger which can recharge from any plug, any voltage

Don

Rubbish. That might be true of the SCiBs offered in JDM, but certainly not the GS Yuasa batteries that are our only choice in the U.S. "significant toll" is one hell of a wiggle word, and not one that should provide any reassurance whatever. You aren't going to be able to quote that for any benefit when you get to "hey, my battery capacity's down 25%" time, believe me. And I'd note that quote's back from 2011, when Mitsubishi was spinning many a tallish tale about many aspects of the i-MiEV - later comments have been considerably more subdued, especially in the wake of Nissan's Phoenix Fiasco.

What is SCiBs offered in JDM? GS Yuasa sounds like made in China? Who made the Leaf battery? Why many members think the miev battery is better than Leaf. I know miev has a/c and single row. Is there anything else? I think the jury is still out on the battery.

Back