Level 2, 30A, J1772 Compliant Electric Vehicle Charge Cable

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjlink

If anyone is interested this is a really low price compared to anyone else:
Leviton Level 2, 30A, J1772 Compliant Electric Vehicle Charge Connector with 25' EV rated Charge Cord , A3435-PEV
http://store.leviton.com/Compliant-Electric-Vehicle-Connector-A3435-PEV/dp/B00912OT00?field_availability=-1&field_browse=2673928011&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&id=Compliant+Electric+Vehicle+Connector+A3435-PEV&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchNodeID=2673928011&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

That is a really good price - Less than just the cost of the connector alone from most places. I paid $135 for just the connector

Don

You can make an extension with that cable so when a charger has been iced you can still charge a bay or 2 away and also could you send the cable away with your EVSE to EVSE upgrade and have a full power upgrade and not be limited by the stock 16 gauge cable?

Wee John said:
. . . . could you send the cable away with your EVSE to EVSE upgrade and have a full power upgrade and not be limited by the stock 16 gauge cable?
I don't know. There could be other components in the EVSE (the board or maybe the relays?) which limit the current in addition to the 16 gauge cable. I'm sure if you asked them, they could tell you what's possible

Don

Don said:
Wee John said:
. . . . could you send the cable away with your EVSE to EVSE upgrade and have a full power upgrade and not be limited by the stock 16 gauge cable?
I don't know. There could be other components in the EVSE (the board or maybe the relays?) which limit the current in addition to the 16 gauge cable. I'm sure if you asked them, they could tell you what's possible

Don

They told me its just a firmware setting. They set it to limit at 12 amps on 240 volts due to the small gauge wire on the stock 16 gauge cable.

Wee John said:
could you send the cable away with your EVSE to EVSE upgrade and have a full power upgrade and not be limited by the stock 16 gauge cable?
I wonder whether this would be possible as well. But then I wondered whether a few additional amps would be worth the cost of the cable. Does the existing cable have enough resistance at 12 amps to reduce the charging efficiency compared with using this cable at a higher amperage? If so, using this cable could be somewhat less expensive, but the payoff time might be pretty long.

alohart said:
Wee John said:
could you send the cable away with your EVSE to EVSE upgrade and have a full power upgrade and not be limited by the stock 16 gauge cable?
I wonder whether this would be possible as well. But then I wondered whether a few additional amps would be worth the cost of the cable. Does the existing cable have enough resistance at 12 amps to reduce the charging efficiency compared with using this cable at a higher amperage? If so, using this cable could be somewhat less expensive, but the payoff time might be pretty long.

A long time as in ever. It does not save you any money, only lets you charge faster.

Logandzwon said:
A long time as in ever. It does not save you any money, only lets you charge faster.
I've read that the standard cable gets warm when charging. That heat is wasted energy and thus wasted money. But is the cost of that wasted heat, especially with my expensive $0.30 / kWh electricity, sufficient to make replacing the cable worthwhile? I sort of doubt it considering the cost of the better cable.

Back