Plugless Power

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sandange said:
Can't see this working up here with all the snow and ice stuck to the underside of the car. But you never know.
Sandy
There can be a fair gap between the coils for inductive charging, allowing foe snow, mud, etc but the system overall reduces charging efficiency while adding weight and cost. I'd only be a fan if expressway lanes with imbedded inductive loops could enable longer distance EV and/or more electrified transit

I'd only be a fan if expressway lanes with imbedded inductive loops could enable longer distance EV and/or more electrified transit

Solar Highway
Here is a quote from a member of another forum (Torc) discussing this Idea -- very interesting
Since being awarded the $750,000 Phase II SBIR contract by the Federal Highway Administration last year, Scott and his team have been busy. They have enough interest, support and panels to run a full test on a parking lot and they are hoping to have this completed sometime later this year. This will give them invaluable information on durability, maintenance cost and functionality of their solar panels generating power. It's nice to see things moving along. This is a huge step for them and hopefully everyone.
Here's a link to a short video http://vimeo.com/40095422

I see this as the future of Electric Cars. I'm not really looking forward to plugging in my car on cold nights after coming home from work and then having to be so careful about the cable so it doesn't lay on the floor in the muck in my garage. I'd rather just drive in and be done with it.

The unit doesn't appear to weigh more than a few pounds if that and each one is designed to fit the car its intended for. And the power loss is about the same as sucking the juice from the wall - about 80-90%.

This ends the whole debate about which connector is going to win out. Now that we are getting used to J1772, there is already talk of another competing connector. We'll end up with a whole drawer full of useless connectors and adapters like we all already have for cell phones and other electronic items.

This also opens up the possibilities of being able to recharge on the fly like entering a special lane on the highway to recharge.

The videos on the site are very informative.

Back