Center armrest?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennrod12

Wondering if anyone is trying to figure out how to make a center armrest. Personally, I don't use the parking brake very often and I was thinking it would be cool to build an armrest that fits over top of the parking brake. Maybe one that could lift up, like on a hinge at the back, to expose the parking brake if needed. Thus it wouldn't be a console that you could put things in, but just a place to rest your arm while driving or while being a passenger. Actually, a shallow console would still fit above an activated parking brake.

Jenn

jennrod12 said:
Wondering if anyone is trying to figure out how to make a center armrest. ... Actually, a shallow console would still fit above an activated parking brake.

Jenn

Pure Jenn-ius! :idea: I've been wanting an armrest too, and you made me realize that one could 'plug into' the rear cup holder and cantilever forward over the rear end of the hand brake without interfering in it's operation. (At least for long-leggers like me who keep the seat at it's rearmost adjustment.) A bent u-bracket down to the floor would keep the armrest from rotating or cracking the cup holder when somebody puts a lot of weight on it...

Off to the workshop!!

My spouse put a HandiWipes container that comes in the new cupholder packaging into my cup holder the other day. While driving, I noticed my arm can rest very comfortably on it. Not saying a HandiWipes container is the best idea for an arm rest but the shape and size definitely work well as a base for the arm rest.

MLucas - LOL - Army wipes!

Jray3 - keep us posted on your invention! :ugeek: Be sure to document it well so we can repeat it, or so you can make a bunch more to sell to us.

Jenn

I almost never use the E-brake so a thin three sided plastic piece could fit there. Quite often I find myself leaning to put my right elbow on something. On solo trips I have taken to resting my arm on the top of the right seat. I was also thinking about modifying a generic floor mat from Walmart to cover the far left bump in the drivers side floor panel. I rest my foot on it a lot but the material covering it is that flimsy fake cloth. I know it will rub off or through eventually.

The UK mievers have a lot of accessory options now, including a fold-away armrest!
http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/imiev/accessories/items.aspx?type=58&group=44
Of course, like EVerything over there, it costs a pretty penny. 229 Pounds equals $359.
A bargain for elbow comfort, eh? :lol:
I've been travelling the last couple of weeks, will try to progress on a DIY armrest soon..

Back