Mitsu Stock USB or aftermarket stereo?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradleydavidgood777

I read thru the old threads regarding USB. I am wondering if anyone has confirmed that the stock USB does more than just charge. Specifically, I would like it to play anything on my iPhone thru the radio. I have a 2017 stock radio (not the navigation system). I can switch it to USB when I hit the CD button. I am considering the upgrade but only if it plays anything on the phone. I want to play youtube music not what's in the phone music/ipod. Can anyone confirm this?

Otherwise I think I'm going to do an aftermarket stereo, which I think means buying a new dash bezel for around $80 if I remember correctly. So I'm thinking $80 plus around $200 for the stereo vs. the $150 for the Mitsu USB if it does what I want.

Actually I'm not even sure that the aftermarket stereo will play youtube.

Any ideas?

Thanks

The USB port will play music stored on a memory stick - We have about 600 songs on USB sticks that we use in all 4 cars . . . . it takes quite awhile to play through the list

Not sure how compatible that would be with your iPhone. I know the 2012 Premium sound system has Blue tooth, so I assume you can play music stored on a phone using that . . . . but it's so easy to just use the USB stick that we've never tried doing it any other way

Don

Thanks Don.

After thinking about it more I'm leaning toward replacing the unit. Seems like I can buy a whole new stereo for that price and get something much nicer.

Here is what I'm thinking:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DPX793B/Kenwood-Excelon-DPX793BH.html

Dash kit:
https://www.amazon.com/11-252-Installation-Surrounded-Citroen-178102mm/dp/B012CVUTT6

The only piece left is to get something to hold the iphone. I have the suction cup type that is magnetic. Love the magnet type but I figure the suction cup is going to fail eventually so looking at these options from Crutchfield:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_042LEGEND/Pro-Fit-VSM-Legend.html
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_042VSM/Pro-Fit-VSM-Mount-System.html
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_042VSMG3/Pro-Fit-VSM-G3.html

Has anyone done a replacement double din stereo?

bradleydavidgood777 said:
Has anyone done a replacement double din stereo?
There are threads here on the forum from those who replaced the stock 2012 ES radio with a double din - They bought the factory dash part from the SE Premium and it all fit together fine. Don't recall how much the dash piece was, but since it came from Mitsubishi, it couldn't be cheap

But . . . . if you have a factory USB port, why not put your songs on a USB memory stick? You wouldn't need to worry about mounting your phone and it would be MUCH cheaper

Don

I don't have a factory USB port. I'd have to get one installed. That's the whole thing. I could put that money towards the stereo. Plus I want to be able to play anything from my iphone like youtube or anything else. Or from any other device thru the 3.5mm port also.

Also reviews say that the Bluetooth works very well on this unit so that's another bonus - I'd like to talk on the phone and have it sound good to the person on the other side, and hear the audio thru my speakers.

Just installed a USB cable on my iMiev - found a cable in Ebay for $3.15.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Cable-Audio-Car-Media-Music-Adapter-Extension-Wire-For-Honda-Mitsubishi/202301587984
After popping off the radio bezel as described in links earlier in this thread, I looked down at the radio and realized I could get my hand in there, barely; could reach in and feel the socket where the cable goes (on the left side of the back of the radio), and also feel grooves at the top of the socket - meaning the grooved end of the cable needs to face upward. I was able to plug this end of the USB cable into the radio without much further ado, altho it's a tight space and I don't have small hands.

Looking down at the radio, I had noticed there were gaps going all the way down under the dash. I also found it's possible to reach behind where the USB panel plate is mounted, and just pop it out. So I snaked the USB cable down, cut a rectangle in the panel plate (the most difficult part of this venture), and glued the USB cable end in place with "Goop."

I have an SE but Im tempted to put in a newer stereo with Android Auto so you can use Music and Navigation straight from the phone.
My car's GPS hasn't been updated since 2012 and there are some missing roads etc.

Yea I'm really enjoying playing whatever is on the phone thru the stereo. Mostly I queue up Youtube stuff but if I'm using google maps its nice too. Sometimes youtube music. Also there are tons of internet radio apps. I downloaded a bunch of them but keep forgetting to use them. My favorite is radio paradise.

The stock radio works just fine with iPhones, however one needs to pay some attention when trying to play YouTube videos. The radio interface doesn't fully understand the difference between videos and music, and it will try to play music in-between videos, often at a louder volume. I played that game for a while, then eventually found it was easier in the long run to go buy the CDs, rip them, and load the songs onto the phone. I've yet to find a long-term replacement radio that matches or beats the sound quality of the stock radio.

Radio Paradise is great. Cache up a couple hours on Ultra quality, set bass to +3 (+2 if your doors rattle a lot), treble to +2, and let the audio system shine. Not sure what or how they do it, but music just sounds better from them.

Adding the USB port is pretty easy. Pop the trim piece off the top of the radio, take out 2 screws holding the radio in, and take the radio out (don't unplug it, just swing it around and set it on the dash behind the cavity). Pop out the left blank on the bottom of the center stack and feed the radio end of the cable through and straight up through the dash. Snap the USB port into place and plug in the other end into the radio and put the radio back in. Make sure the cable is clear of the battery conditioning servo if your car is equipped.

Back