kerrye

Re: Supplemental cooling for the charger.

Wed May 01, 2019 4:46 pm

It’s too bad the AC is not activated and diverted to the charger on Level 1&2 charging.

I’d be interested in a kit if you develop it.

pbui19

Tue May 07, 2019 7:09 am

I am sure there is a 12v source back there somewhere but I don't have access to the drawing. I've been thinking of tapping into the coolant pump 12v, which runs intermittently while charging, so then the cooling fan would only run when the pump is running. My thinking is just to duct the flow to get the pooled hot air at the top out.

Haven't gotten around to it so my lazy way now is just propping up the lid and let the natural convection moves the hot air out, leaving an opening in all 4 windows.

It also has been confirmed here that level 1 charging generates less heat.

Don
Site Moderator

Tue May 07, 2019 1:06 pm

pbui19 wrote:It also has been confirmed here that level 1 charging generates less heat.

Especially if you use the supplied OEM 2012 Panasonic EVSE which only does 8 amps, 960 watts. That's how I've been recharging 95% of the time for the past year because of all the heat related failures we've been seeing here. I do occasionally use L1 @ 12 amps, (and even L2 @ 12 amps a couple times in the dead of winter when it was only 35 or 40 degrees outside) but my new 'rule' is . . . . "Why recharge any faster than absolutely necessary??"

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2017 Chevy Volt Premier
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon, 14,000 miles
1979 Honda CBX six into six

ed5000

Wed May 08, 2019 12:24 pm

Don wrote:
pbui19 wrote:It also has been confirmed here that level 1 charging generates less heat.

Especially if you use the supplied OEM 2012 Panasonic EVSE which only does 8 amps, 960 watts. That's how I've been recharging 95% of the time for the past year because of all the heat related failures we've been seeing here. I do occasionally use L1 @ 12 amps, (and even L2 @ 12 amps a couple times in the dead of winter when it was only 35 or 40 degrees outside) but my new 'rule' is . . . . "Why recharge any faster than absolutely necessary??"

Don

I've been charging at a reduced rate too. It seems to help. The car stays cooler, at least when it's parked with the windows up and the coolant pump seems to run less often.

I charge at night when its cooler outside and electric rates are lower. I use my UpgradeEVSE set at 8 amps (240VAC) so at about 1920 watts. The car accumulates nearly two bars per hour of charging. And since it's at night, there's plenty of time to get my full (or nearly full) charge I aim for.
2012 ES, Cool Metalic Silver, no quick charge, no fog lights and no navi but a cold weather package for when it gets 13 below, wait - it never gets that cold here.
"Silver Shadow"

kerrye

Thu May 09, 2019 2:21 pm

After about a half hour of level one charging at an ambient temperature in low 40's F and the car body reading 45f, the highest temp I could find on the charger was 58 degrees F. Coolant pump cycled once as I was checking temps, in a period of about 10 minutes.

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”