Solar Trailers

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like that trailer.

Not going to bet on it, but at least it's possible:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/11/18/they-may-save-us-yet-scientists-found-a-way-to-turn-our-carbon-emissions-into-rock/

Moved a few recent posts in here as I thought this topic merits its own thread. Dunno if it belongs here (is it an i-MiEV 'accessory'?) or perhaps in the Off-Topic forum?

Solar trailers have been discussed in the past, mostly on our Range Extender thread.

Google "Solar Trailers" and if you look at Images you'll see hundreds of solar trailers, all bearing the same characteristics:

1. S o l a r p a n e l s (and occasionally including a windgen)
2. Energy storage (invariably batteries)
3. Battery charging controllers
4. Inverters to provide conditioned output power

The images show some really creative ideas for folding the s o l a r p a n e l s. [Note: the weird spacing of the preceding two words is to avoid having an unintended link to some completely-out-of-context advertising show up ... :evil: ]

A number of us have been toying with this concept (especially, PV1) as it's nice to have an independent energy source available when the grid goes down or if we need power at a remote location. In my case I'm also looking at using the trailer for possible utility augmentation (i.e., Tesla PowerWall concept). If we want to pull the trailer with the i-MiEV, then light weight is a significant design criterion.

My own progress has been slow - I have the trailer, panels, batteries, inverters, and c h a r g e r s and need to put them all together, but still need to continue work on the bulletproof BMS. Interrupted a year ago was my experiment of paralleling 48v strings of AGM (12v4s), two different types of LiFePO4 (16s), and Li(NMC) (14s) to see how nicely they'll play together when sharing both charging and discharging currents.

Back