Led indicator to show charging

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twiin640

Hello all, I've got a question pertaining to a charging indicator. Of course we have the indicator on the dash that shows the car is being charged. The Leaf, Volt and others also have an indicator on top of the dash or exterior showing that from a distance, charging is taking place. It would be nice to be able to look out a window and see if the car is still charging or not instead of going all the way out to the car. For charging at home after my day it doesn't really matter but if I'm 2 stories up in a bldg it begins to be advantageous especially if I'm waiting on the car to charge before I go home.

So the question, has anyone done a mod to add an led or some indicator to the top of the dash or on the exterior to show from a distance that charging is still taking place and if so can you give some info on the mod?

Haven't tried adding an LED, but the MiEV remote will show charging status when you turn it on.

Remote functions laid out here:
http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2780

If you want to add an LED, the best option might be tracing out the charging indicator in the instrument cluster, or tapping the AC input at the J1772 port and powering an LED with a power supply.

When charging, the red charging light on the dash lights up and the number of bars charged can be seen from inside the car. Where is your LED supposed to go?

I have no answer for you. OTOH, the EVSE (both the stock one and the Clipper Creek one I normally use) has leds on it, can't you arrange the brick so it is visible from a distance?

Phximiev said:
When charging, the red charging light on the dash lights up and the number of bars charged can be seen from inside the car. Where is your LED supposed to go?

If you have seen a Leaf charging or Chevy Spark they have an led indicator on top of the dash showing that charging is taking place.

mdbuilder said:
I have no answer for you. OTOH, the EVSE (both the stock one and the Clipper Creek one I normally use) has leds on it, can't you arrange the brick so it is visible from a distance?

If I'm at home it doesn't really matter since I just plug it in and leave it until the next day. On the road I use the public charging stations so no EVSE brick to look at.

Back