Need to add a rear seat belt !!

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChaplainBill

I am trying to qualify my IMiev as a "Lyft" vehicle (Waikiki to HNL airport, short trips) but MUST add a third seatbelt in the rear to meet requirements. They really only need a "token effort" as they said just provide a picture and a receipt for the work and I will be approved. Any ideas? I realize it will not meet any safety standards, but frankly, I will NEVER use a middle rear seatbelt for a 4th passenger (will just send another Lyft driver and pretend my vehicle broke down?!) I have a roof rack for surfboards/golf bags, and special "Thule" luggage roof bag to handle excess bags in inclement weather (happens often on the run to airport! LOL!= our famous trade wind downpours!) If I had a better relationship with my dealer, I would prefer to have them install something, as it would look more "official", but I bet they would decline because of liability issues. (Probably no "shoulder harness", just a lap belt system?) Any ideas or advice appreciated. This may be my new retirement part time fun job, and if it works out, I might try to get the Lyft Driver advantage and lease a new Chevy Bolt when they are released early to Lyft drivers that qualify later this year. More will be revealed! Aloha, Barnacle Bill Crockett, aka: Chaplain Bill, Honolulu, Hawaii

Pull one out of the middle rear seat of a minivan.

If you have any salvage yards go for a visit and look around, or tell them what you need, they can find one for ya.

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/seatbelts-and-accessories/2-pt-non-retractable-lap-belts/m.products/123/view/5

clip on to the child seat loops, there are two between the seat bottom and seat back.

Easy addition.
I added a Mitsubishi factory lap belt in between the two rear regular shoulder belt assemblies.
The lap belt halves can easily share the two factory mounting bolts with shoulder belt assemblies in the middle of the rear seat.
You will have to remove the rear seat cushion to easily access these two bolts.
That is the same way the factory would mount the center seat belt.
I use it on occasion for when I have 3 kids in the back.
It is way more secure than many factory vehicles I have owned in the past.
I can post a picture if needed tomorrow.
Cheers,
Roman

Thx Nikalex. Any idea if the seat belt bolt and weldnut that it threads into is as beefy as what holds two belts in other cars? I'd guess it is standard, and therefore strong enough, but confirmation is nice. Did you also remove the plastic plate without scarring the upholstery much? There have been rare occasions when a third tyke in the back seat would've been useful.

Back