DIY usb cable

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leec

I'm interested in attempting a DIY usb cable for the stereo on my ES. Paying $145 plus installation at the dealership doesn't work for me, neither does $122 from eBay given that it's four wires and a ground. The odd part is the interface with the back of the stereo. Does anyone have specifics as to the type of plug used there?

The USB cable is part# MZ360382EX
I grabbed an indistinct photo of the stereo's back from install guide.

Are you able to access the pins with a multimeter? You should be able to use any ground to test for the 5v pin and the ohmmeter for ground.

Leec: Please tell us more about this USB cable install. 1) Is that the standard radio for the Miev 2) How to access the radio 3) Does the USB allow direct connection of an I Pod or MP3 player 4) Have you been able to find the cable anywhere else?

Thanks

psyflyjohn said:
Leec: Please tell us more about this USB cable install.
1) Is that the standard radio for the Miev
Yes, the one with the LCD display and not the fancy nav system.

psyflyjohn said:
2) How to access the radio
Just pop the plastic part off the back of the radio on the dashboard (under the rear view mirror).

psyflyjohn said:
3) Does the USB allow direct connection of an I Pod or MP3 player
Yes, any iOS device will be supported for artist, album, genre and track name.
Further, any generic mass storage device containing MP3/WMA files can be browsed by folder hierarchy.

psyflyjohn said:
4) Have you been able to find the cable anywhere else?
No, I went with the stock part and installed it myself in a few minutes.

My car came with the USB option and I didn't think too much about it one way or the other . . . . until my son visited last week and helped me 'rip' my CD collection to the computer and store it on USB flash drives. I took about a hundred of my favorite songs and put them on a 4 Gb drive and put it in the car. Needless to say, I found out why they didn't bother to offer the car with a 6 disc changer ;)

Those hundred songs filled up about 10% of the drive, so the possibilities are almost endless. I like that it displays the title of each song as it begins to play

Don

Seeing this discussion got me wondering about a related issue - auxiliary analog input (aux-in) to the sound system.

Mitsubishi only offers a USB package for the radio (which I might get, still pondering that vs. MP3 CDs), but this radio appears to be the same as one used in other Mitsu models that offer aux-in. A fellow at the dealership confirmed this, but said Mitsubishi wasn't approving hookup of the aux-in for obscure electrical CAN-bus reasons. That sounded like nonsense to me, which raises questions about whether his take on the radio was correct also.

So if anyone's working on the radio for the DIY USB or other reasons, I'd be interested to know if there does appear to be a usable aux-in. That would be a lot more useful to me than USB, since my Android player includes subscription tracks not available for access via mass storage, as well as podcasts and audiobooks more easily accessible through a player app than trying to use the i's crude navigation tool to burrow through the system folders.

For now, I've blown the dust off an old FM xmitter to plug in the cigarette lighter, and using that to listen through an unused radio station works fine for talk podcasts (in fairness, the big problem with FMxmit is on road trips, where you have to keep changing the frequency as you come into range of new stations, and of course, the i-miev is never leaving town, is it?) But for music, I'd prefer the somewhat better sound of a wired connection.

I could start another topic on this, but I'm hoping people working on this USB issue might back into an answer on the aux-in question as well. Thanks in advance for sharing any insights/experiences.

Don said:
My car came with the USB option and I didn't think too much about it one way or the other . . . . until my son visited last week and helped me 'rip' my CD collection to the computer and store it on USB flash drives. I took about a hundred of my favorite songs and put them on a 4 Gb drive and put it in the car. Needless to say, I found out why they didn't bother to offer the car with a 6 disc changer ;)

Those hundred songs filled up about 10% of the drive, so the possibilities are almost endless. I like that it displays the title of each song as it begins to play

Don
I had used the cd player with Chris Rea's "Highway to Hell" and it sounded great, so I grabbed a USB flash drive lying around and put Donald Fagen's "Sunken Condos" on it and it worked on the stereo with no problem! XLNT!

I did some quick investigation on the USB connector on the radio. As expected, it is NOT a standard USB connector. In fact, it looks very much like the Firewire 800 connector from a Mac. I'm going to see if I can source this connector or even repurpose a Firewire 800 cable (if it fits). I am not looking forward to spending $130 on a simple cable, but I may have to. :|

Edit: Looking at it with fresh eyes this morning makes me wonder if I can get a female-to-female USB connector to fit... along with a simple USB extension cable (male-to-female). Stay tuned...

uN7IFyo.jpg

Dimensions on the plug...
Inner width x height -- 10mm x 3mm
Outer width x height -- 14mm x 12mm
Inset of inner connector -- 10mm

All these dimensions are approximate.

The USB Adaptor kit is now available for $108.75 + $10.56 shipping:
http://www.mitsubishiusaparts.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=171

Still too much for just a cable.

That's cheaper than eBay . . . . and lots cheaper than the $175 I paid as an option when we bought the car

I think it's worth the money - It makes the radio an 'infinite' CD changer . . . . :D

Don

I'm also looking at a cheap way (not a $120 cable!) to add an aux in (not simply a USB connection) for mp3/ipod audio input to the standard am/fm/cd/mp3 unit. The picture from aarond12 of the back of the unit is very helpful (any luck with a female USB?) Seems to me that if we can find a fit for that USB connector on the head unit then we can run it direct out as an aux in cable, or an USB/aux in combination, as sold here for an ipod/iphone:
http://www.cellphoneshop.net/aux.html

Basically, we are looking for what BMW sells for the mini, but with the connector to fit the Miev head unit:
http://www.amazon.com/iDRIVE-ADAPTER-MASERATI-61120440796-61120440812/dp/B003P6DGMK/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

If you already have or bought the USB adaptor and want aux in (3.5 mm plug), I would assume you can buy a simple usb to aux in adapter from amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Female-3-5mm-Converter-Adapter-Charge/dp/B00B5P765G/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1366586279&sr=8-5&keywords=usb+aux+adapter
(edit: just looked at the review and it appears it doesn't work....)

ken

I believe the head unit is manufactured by Panasonic. Whoever the manufacturer is, it appears to be the same manufacturer as my Mazda 3's head unit.

Based on those assumptions, I'll bet the connector we need to focus on is the other large connector that's not connected to anything. I'll bet, as it was on my Mazda 3, that it's a CD changer cable. Like my Mazda, a CD changer was never released for the vehicle. Instead, I purchased an interface that went from the changer control and, through some hackery with an Alpine changer unit, was able to have iPod control.

This makes me think that, if we can get the pin-outs for that second connector, we could fashion a line-in on that connector.

Thanks for starting this thread - 15mins is all it took to install the USB cable after reading through here.

fresnomiev said:
I'm also looking at a cheap way (not a $120 cable!) to add an aux in (not simply a USB connection) for mp3/ipod audio input to the standard am/fm/cd/mp3 unit. The picture from aarond12 of the back of the unit is very helpful (any luck with a female USB?) Seems to me that if we can find a fit for that USB connector on the head unit then we can run it direct out as an aux in cable, or an USB/aux in combination, as sold here for an ipod/iphone:
http://www.cellphoneshop.net/aux.html ......
ken

Ken,
This (getting a simple AUX audio input, not a USB) is still MY preference.
Have you had any luck barking up that tree since your post?

Think either of these might work?
http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-587-165-auxiliary-input-for-mitsubishi-radios.aspx
or
http://www.oemautosound.com/pc-590-165-auxiliary-input-for-mitsubishi-vehicles-2003-2007.aspx .

Alex

Hmm. That looks possible. The description says:

"The Mit-3.5m allows you to input auxiliary audio to play through the factory Mitsibishi radio's auxiliary input Measuring approximately 6' long the Mit-3.5M has a 3 terminal connection cable that connects to the 14-pin or 22-pin conector depending on which radio is installed in the above vehicles"

The Miev has a 22-pin connector (and also the USB connector, but I think that a previous poster was right to say that we should be focusing on the 22 pin connector). I'd bet that if we can figure which three pins are the appropriate ones, we'd be in business... I'm out of the country right now so can't test the following: the description also says "Radio must be AUX capable, Press and hold CD button for 2 to 4 seconds to enter "AUX" mode." Did you try that? Does it go into Aux mode or does there have to be current draw for that to happen (like in my Sony aftermarket unit).

Judging by that picture, it is simply a 3.5mm plug with a six foot wire. Seems like one could just take any 3.5 plug with a six foot wire and pin connectors....?

ken

fresnomiev said:
Judging by that picture, it is simply a 3.5mm plug with a six foot wire. Seems like one could just take any 3.5 plug with a six foot wire and pin connectors....?
Certainly looks like it. The $1M question: Which pins?

aarond12 said:
fresnomiev said:
Certainly looks like it. The $1M question: Which pins?

Hmmm,
Wonder if I can get the directions re which 3 ions from the folks who sell the ~$40 plug plus wire that apparently hooks,without a plastic 22pin female connector to those pins.
That would have to specify the pins.

If I try and succeed 'll post.

Alex

Edit added here: I called a tech at oemautosound .. The Aux cable supplier. He said he could not fax me the directions because they're on the side of the box and theirs fax is single sheet.
Said it would probably work but can't promise as they haven't tested it.. And because MiEV mot on their compatibility list no return rights.

Back