DIY Boat Tail for Better Aerodynamics

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokeby

The i(MiEV) has a Cd of 0.35; not that good. Prius is around 0.26.

Here's an idea that could be adapted to the i(Miev) by a handy DIYer.
One sticking point may be that for easy on/off it's mounted to a trailer hitch mounted
bike rack.

8HKnk.jpg

Some would estimate that something like this could get 10% better fuel economy...
tighter joints to the bodywork would probably be needed to get that much improvement.

Read/see more:
Aerotail

From a thread at ecomodder.com

iMiEV+with+3+possible+aero+mods.jpg

This quickie drawing shows what an iMiEV might look like with disc wheel covers, rear fender skirts, and two different options on the rear. In black, I echoed the rear passenger window profile. This could be done nicely in black lexan, and be semi-permanently affixed to the hatch. A sharp rear edge would make better aero, but for the sake of buildability and artistic license, I chose a curve.

In grey is the outline of a possible Kammback boat tail. Like the referenced Dutch build, it could be a cargo carrier, or/also for range extension with a supplemental pack or..... combustion-powered genset! :twisted:

Affixing it via a receiver hitch is no sweat now that Torklift Central offers both 2" and 1.25" receivers for our cars.
http://shop.tlcentral.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=157

jray3,

Thanks for your input. The look of the disk wheel covers and rear wheel skirt could grow on you.

This just in... a whole lot more documented wind tunnel tested aero improvements on the Audi A2.
Here's what they fond to be the best rear end treatment:

UVTLw.png

Now that actually looks doable. (Note rear wheel skirt and disk wheel covers.)

See more aero tricks for the Audi A2

Back