Seeking Functionality Beyond Remote

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jray3

So MR BEAN is past 50,000 miles and still showing no readily discernable capacity loss. (I've run deep into the turtle, but never far enough for a shutdown, nor kept regular records of CanIon readings.) I EVen saw RR of 74 the morning after a 56 mile highway trip on Tuesday (60+ mph, nighttime hilly highway at just over 40 degrees)!

All evidence is that less time spent at high SOC is better, and my SPX/Bosch L2 EVSE doesn't work with the remote timer function. My ultimate solution would be a smartphone app that tells the car to immediately recharge to a certain SOC (40% default), and then resume charging in time to hit a set SOC by a set time, probably though a smarter EVSE.
Has anyone cracked this nut or made DIY progress?

jray3, as you can see I created a new Topic for your post.

Perusing the Web yields lots of CAN hackers (in the good sense). Trouble is, none of them own i-MiEVs and thus lack motivation.

Our beloved CaniOn developers Xavier and Martin have wisely taken the passive path of reading and interpreting OBDII data and not interacting with the vehicle in any way.

I personally was gobsmacked by the Cruise Control which only interacted with the OBDII port. Need to look into that further.

For remote control over charging, here's the latest reasonably-priced hardware/software offering from ChargePoint for the home, recognizing that it does not interact with the i-MiEV and thus cannot tell what SoC to stop at:

https://www.chargepoint.com/home/

Edit: Note that this ChargePoint Home unit is controlled by a mobile app "...to remote start, schedule and set charging reminders".

jray3 said:
All evidence is that less time spent at high SOC is better, and my SPX/Bosch L2 EVSE doesn't work with the remote timer function. My ultimate solution would be a smartphone app that tells the car to immediately recharge to a certain SOC (40% default), and then resume charging in time to hit a set SOC by a set time, probably though a smarter EVSE. Has anyone cracked this nut or made DIY progress?

This is one reason I'm really glad that I got the Siemens Versa Charge EVSE. It took a little while to get the estimating down, but now it is second nature. The unit has a digital timer on it that can be set in 2 hour increments (up to 8 hours) for delaying the start. I set the unit based on how many bars the car was parked with at the end of the day. Even just estimating and using the EVSE's timer to delay the start time. I've gotten pretty good at nailing it between 75 and 90% SOC when I unplug to leave the next day. Not automatic by any means but a low tech substitute that does the trick for me. And much simpler than using the cars remote. However, since balancing only takes place at the end of the charge cycle, one does not want to avoid that area completely.

I push the pause button on the unit before plugging it into the car (which saves a power up, power down for the system). Then right before I take a shower I set the time delay Setting the time delay overrides the pause function automatically) based on my estimate of what is needed to reach 80% at my planned departure time. It's now just another regular habit like brushing ones teeth.

Beyond that it should be pretty easy to use the canion pack voltage data and a small logic circuit to actuate a contactor in the feed to the EVSE, cutting power at a preset pack voltage

Aerowhatt

I've signed on to the latest KickStarter campaign from EMW, which promises to turn any EVSE into a smart EVSE for scheduled or limited charging sessions along with detailed status reports and reminders if you forget to plug in.
Will report on the degree of success. My SPX EVSE may be a challenge for it.

I helped a friend build the original $99 Juicebox kit EVSE, and it has held up admirably even after a few accidental drops while charging. :shock: (he left it sitting on a bench and procrastinated about where to do the wall mount for too long)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/emw/juiceplug-a-universal-smart-ev-charging-adapter

Back