Aerowhatt

Re: Stop that key-reminder noise and lose 6 lbs fast!

Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:59 pm

PV1 wrote:That's what it looks like they are. They seem to provide support to the plastic panel to prevent it from being caved in.

I agree, but why not just make them something that supports (attaches) those panels instead? depending whether one drives with their knees together or apart, vastly different outcomes would result by looking at the placement etc. At least so, in a crash scenario. As for just support, they have too much space between them and the plastic panel to prevent damage to the panels in some non crash related rough but incidental impact to the kick panel or adjacent plastic of the dash?

tigger19687 wrote:so probably not a good idea to take it out then ?

IMO it depends. I don't see any positives to them if you are wearing a seat belt. And the usefulness of them is questionable if you are not wearing, one in my opinion. I guess it depends on what you prefer to injure and how much. They look like a Rube Goldberg "fix" to pass a specific crash test parameter. I think that they are likely to cause more harm than good to parts that I value highly (Knees for example) depending upon the impact dynamics. I always wear a seat belt and wear it properly (very important). So does my wife and I won't let anyone else drive it since it's too hard to replace it in this area. I'm choosing OUT, until further research into it proves to me that we are better off with them in.

Aerowhatt
2014 cool silver ES, acquired new 4/2015
2014 Labrador Black Pearl ES, acquired new 3/2016

kiev

Re: anti-submarine brackets

Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:54 pm

They are a 'safety' feature required by uncle sam to prevent 'submarining' in a wreck, i.e. slipping out under the seatbelt and ending up under the dash.

I prefer to take the chance that my seatbelt and airbag will do their job versus the crippling effects of knee damage.

Just be careful and don't cut your fingers when removing them--the punched steel edges are razor sharp, no deburring was done and the edges and corners are brutal!

If i felt they were needed for some strange reason, then i might make some out of aluminum with strategic bends to create a crush zone to absorb energy--i doubt those steel brackets will bend much and the sharp edges will surely tear hell out of your leg and knee.
kiev = kenny's innovative electric vehicle

joev

Re: Stop that key-reminder noise and lose 6 lbs fast!

Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:07 am

GR8 tips!!!
Member Aerowhatt wrote:
"Aaaahh peace and quiet"
Got my vote too.
Easy project and no knee injury just in case.
Thanks kiev

Mievo

Re: Stop that key-reminder noise and lose 6 [edit: 8] lbs fast!

Tue May 16, 2017 11:05 am

Well, I got my answer. I love the idea of weight reduction, however with the already moderate rear weight bias of approximately 150 pounds; I would seek to try and remove an even greater amount of weight from the rear. How that would be accomplished, I haven't the faintest idea. I have inspected the rear end and that is the thinnest steel I've come across in a car, in a long time.
2012 Mitsubishi iMiev, 33,xxxmi

Expert in the art of throwing a punch with back to the ground.

Aerowhatt

Re: Stop that key-reminder noise and lose 6 [edit: 8] lbs fast!

Tue May 16, 2017 11:17 am

Mievo wrote:Well, I got my answer. I love the idea of weight reduction, however with the already moderate rear weight bias of approximately 150 pounds; I would seek to try and remove an even greater amount of weight from the rear. How that would be accomplished, I haven't the faintest idea. I have inspected the rear end and that is the thinnest steel I've come across in a car, in a long time.

ImageE-truck

Carry your portable antigravity device in the storage box like I do :D

Aerowhatt
2014 cool silver ES, acquired new 4/2015
2014 Labrador Black Pearl ES, acquired new 3/2016

Return to “Modifications & Accessories”