is it possible to lock key into car?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eMaS

Hello,
could someone please test these 2 scenarios:
1) Is it possible to lock the remote Mitsu car key into the MiEV car? Could someone please test - leave one key in car and try to lock with other key. Will that work?
2) If key is left in the car, one gets out and hits the lock button on the inside door panel - will the car get locked or will the inside key prevent any locking of the car? Is that possible?
I appreciate any and all assistance

thanks from a fellow MIEV driver
e

Anything's possible :mrgreen: . The i-MiEV will auto-unlock if the lock button is pressed with the key in the ignition.

I'll play around with it tonight to see what the behavior is under different conditions.

I've made it a habit to never leave the key in the car unless a door is open or the window is down since our Tahoe auto-locked the doors one day at the store a few years ago. Luckily, the key wasn't in it.

I just had this happen to me last week.. :oops:

I unlocked the car with the key remote button & got in.
Put the key in the ignition but did not turn it, as I
saw someone in the parking lot I wanted to talk to.
I got out of the car, left the key in the switch, and closed the door.
I was Locked out.
2 possible scenarios
I may have hit the lock button on the key as I inserted it into the switch and not noticed as I was focused on greeting my friend in the parking lot.
or
I hit the door locks button on the door on my way out.
Either way - Yes you can lock your key in the car.

Road side assistance came to the rescue with in the hour.

Hello,
and thanks to everyone who helped out.
Here is the official reply from Mitsubishi:
"If the key is left in the car (out of ignition), e.g. key on seat, and the driver is out, and press the lock button, the doors lock and stay lock. i.e.: "Lock out". I guess that your situation is like that."
I have written back with a suggestion to have this changed.
We had AAA open the car - no key was there and now we assume that students took it from the classroom.
greetings
e

eMaS said:
I have written back with a suggestion to have this changed.
We had AAA open the car - no key was there and now we assume that students took it from the classroom.

Let me get this straight -- you didn't actually lock the key in the car, but you think it's a problem?

Personally, I think it's a problem when cars (Honda, I'm looking at you) WON'T let me lock the door when I want to.

Yes, we've come a long. long way since I bought my first '57 Chevy - Now if it's somehow possible for the operator to lock his/her keys in the car, some folks think it's a defect in the *car* and it needs to be fixed ASAP! :roll:

Don

Agreed, Don.
I for one am happy to be the one who has to do the thinking, the car shouldn't think for me, even if it does mean there's a chance I'll goof up and pay the consequences. (The obvious exception of course being the safety features that are never activated under normal conditions, such as airbags).

If the key is in the ignition, hitting a lock button results in an automatic unlock after locking. Also, manually locking the driver door while the door is open with the key in the ignition will also result in an auto-unlock of all doors.

PV1 said:
If the key is in the ignition, hitting a lock button results in an automatic unlock after locking. Also, manually locking the driver door while the door is open with the key in the ignition will also result in an auto-unlock of all doors.

If the switch has been turned

Just the key being in the ignition is enough on mine. Door has to be open, though. If a door is open with the key in, pushing the lock button on a door or manually locking the door results in an auto unlock.

Different behavior in different markets?

PV1 said:
Just the key being in the ignition is enough on mine. Door has to be open, though. If a door is open with the key in, pushing the lock button on a door or manually locking the door results in an auto unlock.

Different behavior in different markets?

PV1 I have to apologize to you as
:oops:
I was curious, Armed myself with 2 keys and decided to try and recreate the scene where my key got locked in the ignition switch.
I couldn't do it.
I can not understand what happened but the guy from CAA (Canadian Automobile Association ) was sent through Mitsubishi road side assistance service and took all of 2 minutes to get the door open.

Might try some more to recreate the scene.

Mystery Solved
5 minutes later - Results of experimentation

Tried this twice to be sure

I had unlocked the drivers door only - with the key remote
the rest were still locked.
As I was getting into the car I must have pushed the drivers door lock button
(The one next to the release handle)
Then I put the key into the ignition without closing the door or turning it
Was distracted by a friend got out of the car and lastly closed the door
Now I was locked out

Funny thing with the reenactment
Once I was locked out - the second key remote door unlock button would not unlock the door
I had to use the key manually to open the door.

Crazier things have happened

So. Yes, it is possible (isn't everything?), but Mitsubishi has taken strides to reduce the possibility. Not only can the i-MiEV auto-unlock if a lock button on the door is pressed, it can also sense when the door is manually locked with the lever by the handle.

Back