Roof Rack

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbW

Who has installed roof racks on their iMiev? Ever try hauling anything "exotic"? Say... a 17' 85lb. canoe?!?! :lol:

I too would love to see photos of a roof rack on an iMiEV!

My brother-in-law bought a roof rack for his Kia Rio two-door. He got a good deal on it, but also waited to install it, and when he finally did, realized that it wouldn't fit! Now he can't return it. I guess if sort of fits into the door frames, so it's only designed for a four-door car!

He offered it to me (cheap).

One thing the iMiEV is NOT very good for is hauling pallets. There have already been a few times where I thought a roof rack might have been handy. The only real downside I see to roof racks is that they are NOT aerodynamic. But since the entire CAR is not aerodynamic, and I tend to drive at lower speeds and on side roads, that doesn't seem like it should be an issue.

"CAN I INSTALL A ROOF RACK?
A roof rack is not available since it could affect the Mitsubishi i’s drag coefficient. It’s true: Our designers think of everything." As I am sure most people are already aware that Thule makes a set of roof racks for the I-MiEV. http://myimiev.com/mitsubishi-i-woody/ . https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof-rack/roof-bars/thule-aeroblade-arb53b-_-arb53b

Thule AeroBlade ARB53, Thule Rapid Traverse Foot Pack 480R, KIT1682
Thule Aeroblade Load Bars: Premium, aerodynamic load bars provide an exceptionally quiet ride and superior carrying performance. Thule Rapid Traverse Foot Pack 480R: The revolutionary foot which provides the strongest hold, safest fit and easiest installation for the ultimate in roof rack technology and peace of mind.

View details
$499.85

allsmiles277, thank you for posting the Thule part numbers. As you can see I merged your posts into the Roof Rack thread as we attempt to keep our topic titles descriptive and post into existing threads rather than starting new ones (it makes life easier when you're looking for something a few years hence).

RobbW said:
Who has installed roof racks on their iMiev? Ever try hauling anything "exotic"? Say... a 17' 85lb. canoe?!?! :lol:

My plan exactly! Well, starting out with a 16' canoe that I'm buying today. To increase the spread between the load bars and customize the 'angle of attack', I'm thinking of using a hitch mount T-bar on the rear, pickup truck style. Probly wouldn't be able to open the hatch with a canoe on the roof anyway.

Well today I installed some roof rails on my 2014 i-MiEV as I had some roof rack cross bars I wanted to re-use.
I am sure some purists out there will criticize it but....here goes.

I used 48" Adventura roof rails from Proline Products Inc.
Cost was US$95 plus $12 shipping to my US postal box. (I am in Vancouver,Canada but this is common practice here)
I fully declare everything at the border as it's not worth the risk to under-declare.
I travel to the US for work frequently.

The installation does require drilling 12 holes in your roof (not too far now so that you don't drill through the headliner too (-;)

I am fairly pleased with the result.
It's not super heavy duty but will carry everything I need it too.

Between my 2" trailer hitch (from Torklift) and this roof rack I should be set.
I have 2 recreational kayaks that occasionally go on the roof. (Only 10' long and fairly light)

See pictures attached (hopefully).
Cheers,
Roman

This hyperlink should work now!

https://goo.gl/photos/ikXefvLLroQZ3vyA7

Below are some photos of my aftermarket roof rails and cross bars that I attached to my 2014 if anyone is interested.
Cheers,
Roman

From my earlier post:

"I used 48" Adventura roof rails from Proline Products Inc.
Cost was US$95 plus $12 shipping to my US postal box. (I am in Vancouver,Canada but this is common practice here)
I fully declare everything at the border as it's not worth the risk to under-declare.
I travel to the US for work frequently.

The installation does require drilling 12 holes in your roof (not too far now so that you don't drill through the headliner too (-;)

I am fairly pleased with the result.
It's not super heavy duty but will carry everything I need it too.

Between my 2" trailer hitch (from Torklift) and this roof rack I should be set.
I have 2 recreational kayaks that occasionally go on the roof. (Only 10' long and fairly light)"

See pictures attached ,
Cheers,
Roman

This hyperlink should work now!

https://goo.gl/photos/ikXefvLLroQZ3vyA7

nikalex, thank you for the photos and getting the link to work. I moved your post into this Roof Rack thread as it keeps similar topic items together, reducing the number of places to look in the future.

I presume you take off the two athwartships bars when not using the rack, and simply leave the fore-aft track on permanently? Any noise? Any noticeable range hit?

Hello Joe.
I assume you must be a sailor / boater or in the marine industry to be using that terminology!
(-; I am a sailor as well. A wee 19' Seaward Fox on a trailer.

No noise to speak of.
I can't comment on any range loss, at least not scientifically.

But at least now I can carry a few 2x4's with ease.
I do take it easy on the roads with a load and my little I-MiEV though.

I carry 2 kayaks at times but really only down the street.

Cheers, Roman

Anybody tried the Thule Airscreen to reduce wind noise on their i-rack?
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof-rack/accessories/thule-airscreen-8700-_-1689690

We use these from thule fitted on small hatches on the roof, below the covers.

p5elS77.jpg

Pa6TgLj.jpg

Works well for this sort of activity.

Back